Gastroenterology Community
Clips left after surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Clips left after surgery

I had gall bladder surgery 13 years ago. Recently I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower right back. After a visit to my internist to check out the problem he noticed I was extremely sensitive in the rib area so  I was sent  for x-rays of my ribs. I was informed that I have surgical clips in my rib area which is most likely the cause of my pain. He immediately asked me if I ever had gall bladder surgery. I find it insane that I was never told about these clips when I had the surgery. Is this normal and do they need to be removed?
They are suppose to be removed, I am shocked it took this long to affect you.
If you check the following article that is found in 'Inside Surgery' you'll find that clips are routinely used to seal off the cystic duct and some blood vessels during lap. cholecystectomy. The clips stay in the body after the surgery. Typically, the body will 'wall off' the clips with an overgrowth of connective tissue.

If you're experiencing pain similar to that found in the place the gallbladder formerly was it may be due to the presence of problems within the biliary tract, or to the presence of stones or sludge. They can form even without the GB being present. Many individuals experience continuing 'GB' issues long after the GB was removed.
I had my gall bladder removed in May and I believe they leave the titanium clips in with no ill effects. That is my experience anyway.
    Hope you soon feel better.
Has anyone ever felt a twinge in the area where the gallbladder was removed?  It is similar to touching a filling with aluminum foil.  I get these on a regular basis and wondered if it is normal.  
I  jsut found out yesterday by reading my xray report ont he way to another Dept int he hospital for some tests that i have Surgical clips from my Gall Bladder surgery 23 years ago. WTH?? no has ever said this to me. I have had multiple chest xrays etc. i did notice about 6 months ago a twingy pinchy pain  wonder if this could be it?? I will ask my Dr when i go back for results in a few days.  Why did no one ever tell me this?
i had my gallbladder removed 13 yrs ago.. ive had pain in my low back on the left side.. an xray showed i have a surgical clip from my surgery that has came loose and is in my pevis area.. i need to have it removed but i have no insurance but im hopeing the doctor that did the surgery would have to take it out.. what do you think?
I don't know that I would want the same surgeon that left the clips in to take them out. I am in a similar situation.  Approximately 2 years ago I had two abdominal surgeries, one to remove my ovaries and another for a colon resection.  I have had pain, weird sensations in my abdomen, and digestional problems since then which have greatly affected my daily living. I just recently found out surgical clips were left in my abdomen.  The strange thing is my internist did not think it was important enough to let me know.  I found out by requesting my hospital records.  Many tests have been done since my surgeries.  My internist tells me he cannot find anything medically that could be causing my problems.  If the clips turn out to be my problem, the news is not going to go over very well, but I will be thrilled to have found the problem, have the clips removed, and be able to go on normally with my life.  Good Luck!
I had breast cancer and found out there were surgical clips when the X-Ray tech (goofed) and told me there was something there and he didn't know what they were.  (new guy - thankfully).  
My surgeon said they were there to mark where the surgery was (like the scar tissue wouldn't be enough?)  I am having pains - sometimes it really hurts and I have to deep breathe thru it - noticed it hurts when it's cold outside too. Personally I would like to get them out but not sure what they would decide to put in next. ???
9 yr cancer survivor - now I'm dealing with the pain of the surgical clips.