Gastroenterology Community
Colon check up question

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colon check up question

My dad had colon cancer & Im wondering when I should begin to get check ups? Im 32 years old...

Thanks...
Tags: Colon
The best person to answer that question would be your own doctor.  :-)  My GI doc recommends colonoscopy by age 50, but with a family history of colon cancer I'm sure that number would be lower.

hi my dad died colon cancer when he was 54, my brothers where told to have colonoscopy when they 35 a nd then every other year, for women its 40. i have colonoscopy booked for 14 th may. i have had left abdominal pain lot of gas etc for couple of months but thankfully no bleeding if you have no symptoms 35 should be fine. im 37. do you know the strain of colon cancer your dad had and how old was he diagnosed
Sorry to hear that. I have had a feeling on my right abdomin (abdomen) very slight not painfull though. I have soft and loose stools lately 2 weeks ago I went and there was blood & then after small black stools following that. I havent had any blood or dark stools since then though. I dont know the strain or how old he was when he was diagnosed. He passed away when he was 43 though which is young. Any thoughts?
hi  the fact that your father was so young i would get checked out, you should ask your gp to refer you for colonoscopy,just to check it out if any abnormalties they will see it early,thats what i'm hoping with my test. but even if u had no looose stools etc your doc should still refer you for test.most colo9n cancer not hereditry so i have been told only 5th of colon cancer i think, but it wud but your mind at rest.i panic with slightest bowel problem because of family history but at least i will know after test, you can make yourself worse and feel you have more symptoms through worry.
I'm 45 and had a colonoscopy today. My family does not have a history of colon cancer but recently  I have had admonial pain, bloating and some minor rectal bleeding.  I wasn't really worried but for peace of mine I had it done.  The actual procedure was only 15 minutes. I don't remember it at all. I remember being wheeled into the exam and then I woke up in recovery.   The GI said I have hemorroids (hemorrhoids).  It is true, the worst part of the colonoscopy is the preparation the day before.   My insurance will cover part of the colonoscopy but at this point in my life paying for part of it is well worth it.
did they say haemorroids would cause abdominal pain, have you to go back or did they give you results there and then
Your father died from colon cancer? If this is the case, it's possible that he had a familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), which is genetic and you and your brothers or sisters may also have it also.

So, according to your symptoms, go and ask for colonoscopy right now (also other family members, even if they have no symptoms). Bleeding itself is indication for colonoscopy.