Gastroenterology Community
Colon removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colon removal

I had my colon removed 4 weeks ago and I still feel weak and don't feel like eating.  I have more bowel movements than I can count.  The problem I have is I am supposed to go to work next week and I don't know how I am supposed to work when I have to run to the bathroom all the time.  Any suggestions on what I can do.
Hi, both my son's had their colons removed, and the docs told them to take Imodium (immodium) Anti-Diarrhea medication, and it did the job.  You need to eat, and more importantly, drink things like Gatorage, and orange juice, and try to eat a banana a day.  Right now between, the constant BM's and your intestine not absorbing nutrients real well yet, you may be getting dehydrated.  These things will replenish your electrolytes, and potassium quickly, and you will feel much better. For awhile, if weak, nauseated, etc., it means you're dehydrated.  Even in a pinch, drinking some Coke or Pepsi (not diet) will help.  We learned all this only after my sons first experienced this problem, would have been nice to know ahead of time.  I hope they also told you that a stomach virus wil be harder on you than someone with a colon.  My youngest son (38) usually has to go to the hospital once a year for hydration, due to the stomach virus.  They hook him up to an IV for a couple of hours, and he's fine and out of there.  Hope this helps.

I underwent a total colectomy nearly five years ago for torrential diverticular bleeding and recorded my experiences on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

You might like to have a look at this posting.

As far as diet is concerned I found that a high fibre diet - especially with preparations including organic oats and bran helped a lot to de-liquify my motions and make them more "muddy/sludgy".

regards
Morecambe
I had my colon removed a year ago and can relate to what you are going through. Going back to work this soon should not be an option. I would say a minimum of 8 weeks after a colon removal. It will take awhile to get your BMs somewhat regulated and your body to adjust not having a colon. Dehydration could be a real problem so drink a lot of water and gatorade. There is also medication that your doctor can prescribe to help the number of BMs you have, it's called Atropine. I would not go back to work so soon after a complete colon removal. Keep in mind also leakage accidents could happen so you may want to wear some type of adult diaper. Let me know if you have other questions.

Rosey12
Yes, 4 weeks is too soon.  Heck, I was off 8 weeks with my ovarian cyst surgery.  Is your doctor approving this return?

The immodium, potassium and including oats in your diet is very good.  Other things that help to bulk up the stools are smooth applesauce, white rice and marshmallows.  Stay away from sugary foods, avoid dairy for now and watch that you don't eat gass producing foods like beans, spices, or fibrous vegetables.  Wait until you are in good shape and start them gradually.  Any vegetables should be well cooked.

Good luck!