Colon resection
I had surgery to resection my colon on Feb. 19th.  I am still swollen and have various aches and pains associated with the surgery.  How long does it take for my digestive tract to settle down?  When will the swelling go down?  Any information will be helpful.  I am dealing with the pouch okay, but find it difficult to empty the bag without making a mess in the bathroom.  I guess I need more practice.  Help!
From my own experience after a total colectomy (but without a pouch) I would have expected your post-op symptoms to have settled down somewhat by now.  I stayed in hospital ~12 days after the operation due to the development of a post-op ileus.  But thereafter (somewhat cautiously) life returned to normal.  The surgery inflicted a 10-11 inch incision which did remain sore for a copule of weeks

However, if you have any doubts I suggest that you contact your surgeon who is responsible for your post-op welfare and recovery

tegards
Morecambe

i
Thank you for your input.  I have asked my surgeon, who tells me, with a smile, that each person is different.  Each person heals at his or her own rate.  
Hi.  I had a colon resection in Jan 08.  My surgeon was the same with me.  He said that it can take some people up to a year to "forget you had the surgery".  I was in that area, but I am a big baby about pain.  He originally said about 3-6 months.  But he did say the same thing as yours did, that people heal differently.  I would be patient as your was so recent. He also said to watch out for fever and vomiting, which I never developed.  Hope this helps.
Thank you.  Yes, that helps a lot.