Gastroenterology Community
Colon resection
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Colon resection

I had surgery to resection my colon on Feb. 19th.  I am still swollen and have various aches and pains associated with the surgery.  How long does it take for my digestive tract to settle down?  When will the swelling go down?  Any information will be helpful.  I am dealing with the pouch okay, but find it difficult to empty the bag without making a mess in the bathroom.  I guess I need more practice.  Help!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
From my own experience after a total colectomy (but without a pouch) I would have expected your post-op symptoms to have settled down somewhat by now.  I stayed in hospital ~12 days after the operation due to the development of a post-op ileus.  But thereafter (somewhat cautiously) life returned to normal.  The surgery inflicted a 10-11 inch incision which did remain sore for a copule of weeks

However, if you have any doubts I suggest that you contact your surgeon who is responsible for your post-op welfare and recovery

tegards
Morecambe

i
Blank
Thank you for your input.  I have asked my surgeon, who tells me, with a smile, that each person is different.  Each person heals at his or her own rate.  
Blank
433485_tn?1321816990
Hi.  I had a colon resection in Jan 08.  My surgeon was the same with me.  He said that it can take some people up to a year to "forget you had the surgery".  I was in that area, but I am a big baby about pain.  He originally said about 3-6 months.  But he did say the same thing as yours did, that people heal differently.  I would be patient as your was so recent. He also said to watch out for fever and vomiting, which I never developed.  Hope this helps.
Blank
Thank you.  Yes, that helps a lot.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949