Colonic Dysmotility
I am a 28 year old female who has never been pregnant, but who has had a long battle with constipation.  After having some real problems with constipation in early February, I have been diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse including a moderately large rectocele and enterocele seen during defecography.  The enterocele actually causes the colon/rectum to collapse, obstructing complete defecation.  A colonoscopy in February showed that my colon is somewhat "stretched out," according to the GI doc.  I have not been evaluated for cystocele or uterine prolapse, but I suspect I have both of those also.

Part of the defecogram report says, "No visualized distal colonic motility was noted, consistent with colonic dysmotility." and as the first "impression" lists, "Hypomotility of the rectum..."

This worries me greatly.  You can do surgery to correct anatomic and mechanical problems.  I get that.  But if my colon is just not doing its job, I don't know what the prognosis is, or what one can do about it.  It scares me...

My next appointment with a doc isn't until 4/22, but I might explode if I have to wait that long to discuss these test results.  The colorectal doc who ordered the defecogram and manometry is out of town and booked solid until May.

I know I really need to talk to my doctor(s), but until then, can you give me any idea of what the next step might be?

Thanks in advance!
uffdah! I can see why waiting another 3 weeks would be hard... you didn't mention what you eat. Didn't any doctor have any suggestions about that ?
   constipation is one symptom of an underactive thyroid; have you looked into that ?

I have been told that with proper treatment, an overstretched bowel should return within 6 weeks to 6 months.  they would need to sort out why it is distended and correct that.  Osmolax is safe long term.  we had good success with drinking a glass of water on waking and 1.2 Litres during the day also. After a lifetime of this, there is probably nothing new here.  but sometimes the simple things can get forgotten in the frustration.  hope you get results soon.
I agree with the first post, have they done endocrinology tests to ensure it's not a systemic problem due to low thyroid causing the sluggish bowel?  Also, have you been tested for celiac disease?  These are some things your doctor should do:)  

If the constipation has not been lifelong, only in recent years or months, stress can actually change the nerve circuits in the gut, leading to overactive Sympathetic nervous system and constipation too.