Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy and Upper GI with biopsies

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colonoscopy and Upper GI with biopsies

Had colonoscopy and upper gi today. The doctor removed 2 polyps. He also took 3 colon biopsies during the colonoscopy. 2 bioposies during the UGI (1) esophugus and (1) duodenum. He said that I had bumps (rough looking) on the bottom of my stomach and a small hiatial hernia. I have been experiencing mild to moderate upper right abdominal pain for several months now. No bleeding and all blood tests normal. CAT scan of the lower right abdomen was also normal. I have some concerns due to the fact that so many biopsies were taken. Why would any at all be taken if there was not any sign of abnormal tissue? What are the reasons to take a biopsy?
Most of the time if there is a colonoscopy or endoscopy done due to other issues besides normal/routine, they will take biopsies to make sure there is no infections or anything else going on that could need treatment.
Since they are already in there, they want to get as much as they can, so they dont have to put you under and do it again.
Remember that biopsies are taken for any number of reasons.  In this case they are probably checking for a bacteria that causes acid reflux and some stomach ulcers H-pilori (sp butchered I am sure).  It is always difficult waiting for biopsy results.  Try not too worry too much.  You always have the right to call the doctor and ask what he is looking for in the biopsies.