Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy and menstrual period

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colonoscopy and menstrual period

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy tomorrow. I have my period with very bad cramps. Can I take a midol or advil for the cramps or will that interfere with the test? Thanks.
Your best bet in answering this question is to call either the doctor that is doing the procedure or at least the hospital/clinic wher eyou are having it done.  Usually they don't like you to take anything like advil, aspirin, etc., for a period of time (usually at least a few days) before hand due to the increased possiblity of bleeding.  Tylenol should be ok, but again, your better off checking in with the doc doing the procedure to make sure you're not taking anything that could either throw off the results or put you at a higher risk for complications.