Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy prep - can't drink the trilyte, help

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow.  I have been doing the prep today.  I took the intial four pills to jumpstart my system then four hours later I started the trilyte.  My problem is this, I was supposed to drink it between 12:00 and 4:00 and it is now 9:30 and I still have not finished it.  DO I HAVE TO???  I am not passing anything solid but I am not clear.  Will it be a failed procedure if I do not accomplish this?  What are the risks?  My head is hurting and I am a little nauseas.  TIA!
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  You probably should finish it.  There is a risk that the procedure will not be able to be completed.  I don't know what you mean by "risks."  What I was told for my prep, is that if you start vomiting, then you can take 15 minutes off but then you should start again.  This is what I did when I started vomiting during the prep.  You can do it, just keep on drinking!
when I had my two done they let me chew gum after every drink that way I could keep it down. sugar free gum. hope this helps.
Well, its all over with.  I was able to drink about two thirds of the trilyte then I got sick.  My stools were not completely clear but I could see through them and the  doc said it was ok - PRAISE GOD!  I did not want to go through that again.  The colonoscopy revealed nothing and I am happy with that.  I was anemic and have been placed on a twice daily iron supplement in hopes that will help with my cronic (chronic) constipation.  Thanks for the help!
I'm glad it went okay.  I warn you though, iron is constipating so I would watch out for that.
Yeah, that is my experience as well.  I had to have it regularly as a child.  I mentioned that to him and he still seems to think it will help.  I will watch it closely as it seems that the more meds I take, the more trouble I have with this.  I hope this to be the opposite.
If you are anemic, iron will help.  If you just have low iron (but not low enough to be anemic), then it almost surely won't help.  I hope everything turns out okay.
I also have IDA, eat more iron enriched foods and if you can cook out of cast iron pans the food will help asborb the iron in them. I take 150mg 8x daily. you can talk to a diet aid at the hospital or at you local heath office and they should beable to give you more help on what to eat to keep your levels up