Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy prep question/concern

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colonoscopy prep question/concern

Last night i got home from school at about 6:30 pm and began taking my prep for my colonoscopy that is scheduled for today. after taking the directed amount every 20 minutes as told by my doc, i noticed my stool was a clear yellow liquid with no solid matter. I was told that when i notice that, to stop. I woke up this morning, and went to the bathroom and there was what appeared to be a small amount of solid like matter that went straight to the bottom of the toilet. since I do not have to be at the hospital for another 4 hours, i took one last 8oz glass of the prep liquids. was this a mistake?
It was not a mistake because, let us say that you still had solid matter well into the night and this morning, you would have followed the directions to keep taking it until there was no solid matter.  The main idea is to have a clean bowel for the gastroenterologist to SEE around in there clearly and maneuver without obstruction.  If the instructions had said don't take any after 6 a.m., then you might be a little concerned that you made a mistake.  But the instructions didn't say that.

Besides, once you go back to the exam areas, they're going to pump you with enough drugs to relax the movement of the bowels, body, and everything else, so any effect the medicine might have on evacuating the bowel will stop.  And you can also tell the nurse who talks to you before going in the exam room that the last time you took the stuff was at whatever time this morning, just in case I'm incorrect.  By the way, today will be one of the best days you've had in a long time, the medicine makes a person feel some kinda good, in case you've not experienced this before!

Thank you very much for clearing this up. it's not so much solid matter, it's more like a cloudy/almost bubbly/fizzy stuff haha.

This is my first colonoscopy, and now i guess i look forward to this "good" feeling you propose :)
Oh, it'll be fabulous.  Keep in mind, if at any point you feel the least bit uncomfortable, say so, and they'll inject more drugs right then... they tape the I.V. line to your hand or arm and so they can push more in immediately.  And since you describe your waste as cloudy, I think it was a good idea to take more of the medicine, since being clear is the aim, altho not always possible.  Me, I gotta go to the dentist today, and I'd trade with you ANY day of the week!!!  
What's the average "recovery" time from this?
My 4 year old son ate half a pizza for dinner the day he has his scope!  Instant recovery!
You'll be groggy for an hour or so afterwards, but then except for passing some gas, you're good to go!