Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Colonoscopy

Hi everyone....  I'm scheduled to have my first colonsocopy next week, & I have to admit, I am terrified. I'm horribly sqeamish, and on top of that, I have heard horror stories of patients being 'aware' during the procudure, when they were supposed to be knocked out.  I'm hoping someone can put me at ease here...  I'm losing a lot of sleep!   Thanks!
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would not recommend researching "what can go wrong in a colonoscopy."  Yes, things do go wrong, but in over 99% of the cases, everything is fine.  I (and most other people) will tell you that the worse part of a colonoscopy is the prep because it tastes bad and because you have to spend all day having diarrhea.  I had a colonoscopy at 16 and I was totally fine.  Do you know what type of sedation you are going to get?  Are you most afraid of waking up in the middle of the procedure?
I agree with patient 915 I have had a colonoscopy and the worst part WAS the prep but as far as the procedure went I remember NOTHING it was absolute bliss the best sleep I have had in years.

I would also suggest not doing anymore research in what can go wrong but voice any concerns that you may have with your doctor I am sure that they will be more than happy to help put you at ease

Remember there is nothing to worry about you are going to be fine  
Thanks for the feedback!  Yes, I'm terrified at th ethought of being aware of what's going on during the procedure.  I was told Verced does the trick.  May I ask what you all used?  
thanks again!
I've had versed before and I didn't remember anything during the procedure.  When I woke up from the procedure in the recovery room I was hallucinating a little bit (nothing scary just people talking) and my teeth were chattering.  I was really out of it for about 10 minutes and then I was just fine.
I've also had other types of sedation and I can tell you about those if you like.