Gastroenterology Community
Combining two meds

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Combining two meds

Can I take tecta in the morning and zantec later in the day. Just started tecta but still sour taste in mouth and bloated burning stomach?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Tecta (which from my research, I believe is Pantoprazole) is a PPI and Zantac is a H2 blocker, so the answer most likely is that, yes you can take both of these together, but I would still recommend checking this out with your doctor.
Thank you, I will contact Doc. I have been on pantoprazole for only 8 days and have developed very sore lower back pain as well as pain in my legs. Anyone else having the same problems on this med. I am going to stop this med and go onto Zantac 150 and see if this is the problem. I am active and never had  site back like this.
That would be an unusual side effect, but it could be caused by the pantoprazole.
A. Lot of complaints on various forums with same complaint of back, neck and pain in lower extremities. A large study out of Sweden expressed concern that suddenly stopping these type of med can cause acid rebound in some .
This is exactly what brought my flare up. I was taking omepazole occasionally for a few days but noticed on those days my asthma improved because I was producing less mucus. When I mentioned thus to my Dr. He suggested I take omepazole daily which I did for 2 months. Sure enough, cut my asthma med Symbicort to 1 puff once a day from 4 puffs and at half the dose. This is a good thing because long term use does cause bone loss and I m a 65 year old very active female. Last year I broke a bone in my ankle walking on a flat surface so bone loss is an issue for me. For this reason I stopped cold turkey the omepazole  and all hell broke loose with reflux, burning stomach, burping and gas. Went  to doc who put me on pantoprazole, symptoms after 8 days are subsiding but have decided to slowly wean myself off and stick to diet and Zantec which for me has less side effects. I rue the day the Dr. suggested a daily dose of omepazole . Has anyone tried going off these meds all at once and how did you accomplish this without the acid rebound?
I am new to this community and this gerd issue as I only suffered from occasional reflux previously. All suggestions are welcome because I am totally frustrated with the mess my life has become.
Yes, it is well studied that going off PPI's quickly can cause rebound reflux/heartburn.  You can counter this by tapering the dose slowly and taking an H2 blocker while you are tapering off of the PPI.  Also, avoid any foods that can worsen reflux.
Thanks,  doing ok so far on first day, going to try alternating  one day off  PPI and taking Zantec150 in morning and once at night. Hopefully Gaviscon will help as well.
Good, I hope it works out for you.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers