Gastroenterology Community
Common Bile Duct Dilated w/o Defect Filling ?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi again, out there in MedHelp Land!  I think I am finally stumbling onto (not really stumbling, I've been fighting for it) some answers to my most recent digestive pain and trouble.  

I finally had an MRCP done and I am HOPING what is being seen on it might just be a stone causing some infection.  I go to the GI doc next week but it just seems like EVERY doc appt and test appt is taking FOREVER while I live in pain and ill health.  

So of course while I am (im)patiently waiting my next doc visit I am trying to understand my report and don't fully. I really really want this to be a simple stone and infection that can be treated and not something worse (of course).

The following is how it reads:

Findings: The liver, spleen and pancreas show normal in signal intensity.  There is no evidence of biliary ductal dilation.  There are no hepatic masses.  The common bile duct is normal caliber.  Both kidneys are unremarkable.  There is no evidence of hydronephrosis.

M.R.C.P., The common bile duct is dilated and measures about 10 mm.  There are no  definite filling defects.  Some minimal irregularity is located within the intrahepatic ducts.  Please correlate regarding the possibility of sclerosing cholangitis.

Impression:  Dilated distal common bile duct measures about 10 mm.  There is irregularity of some of the intrahepatic ducts.  Sclerosing cholangitis cannot be excluded on the basis of this examination alone.

I have a history of a HUGE gallstone and have no gallbladder as of 20+ years ago due to it.  But what has been happening over the last 5 months is very much like what happened when I had my gallbladder attack, only worse and obviously ongoing for much longer due to no diagnosis thus far.  

Does anyone out there know what the relevance is to not having definite filling defects and is this type MRI able to tell if a dilation is for sure caused or not caused by a stone?  Would it show the detail of a stone? I just wish it said there was a stone in there ....guess I already said that  :)

Obviously after reading about sclerosing cholangitis I am really hoping this report is just being super thorough or something to that effect but it sure gave my GP or nurse practitioner the idea it was saying I HAVE sclerosing cholangitis where as I am reading they want me to make sure I don't have it.

Any help in understanding this better would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Rhonda
No definite filling defects suggests there is no abnormality, such as an obstruction, in the ducts that are being viewed. If there was a defect the wording would be more along the lines of 'filling defect found or noted'.

The radiologist generating this report is suggesting the physician who asked for the test should look in the general direction of sclerosing cholangitis. He/she is not diagnosing since they don't have the results of all other testing in front of them. They are simply expressing an educated opinion based on a single finding.

Wow. Thanks for explaining that.  I was so hoping it means there is a stone.  The amount of pain I am in is really serious and barely tolerable to my 17th appt.  so I am sort of getting scared about what could be causing so much pain if there is no 'obstruction' and my food is clearly not digesting so that is pretty concerning.

thanks though for your help at understanding the report.
Blessings,
Rhonda