Gastroenterology Community
Common Bile Duct Stone

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Common Bile Duct Stone

I had my gallbladder removed approximately 5 years ago (2003).  In September, 2008 I had to have a commom bile duct stone removed - (appr. 1 cm).  If you no longer have a gallbladder - how and why did I have one in my common bile duct?  Could this have been overlooked when I had my gallbladder removed?  Is this hereditary?  Is there a special diet I should be following?  How can I avoid these stones again or is my body just producing them?  Also, my liver function tests were very abnormal, as well as enlarged.
You may want to refer to this older post on medhelp: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/archive/142.html

I had my gull bladder removed about 2 years age.  felt good for a few months, the burning pain in my upper right side abdomen is still there.  Had a endoscopy done and was told that I have irritable bowel.  I do not have any constipation or diarrha and the pain does not go away if I eat or not , therefore I feel that they are wrong.  What other test should I suggest to my doctors.  I had a cat scan and a ultra sound done.  Also, can a cat scan miss a bile duct stone.  I feel like the docs are dismissing my discomfort
The test they did are probly wrong and if there is a stone in your duct yes it is very dangerous and can kill you if they keep missing it the stone will lodge and eventually shut down the liver and kidney as well as the pancris i myself have had the same problems and testing but it wasnt till everything started shutting down did they care and an mrcp is the best test for this prob. Ive been thru this five times now once a year since my gaul bladder was emoved and im only 34yrs old and i wish you the best of luck im still having probs and now i cant get a doctor to care you would think after all this in five staight years they would help me but i still struggle
i hope this helps if you start to pass out that is when the stone has lodged itself.juju
You need a MRCP-- it will show your not crazy and they aren't doing there job, I have dealt with this since 2009, it took them to do this test last June and it did confirm what i had been telling them all this time... The surgeon left a stone in my cyctic duct, this is what the gallbladder connects to. He left it in there of concerns it would drop into the mail bile duct, so i have suffered seriouse health issues and multiple ER visits due to this.  I showed my doctors the drawings the surgeon drew for me to show what he did and why it took them all this time to do the one special test is beyound me.  This focuses on the main bile duct from the liver to the cyctic duct to the pancreas, it was firm confirmation it was there.  Ultra sounds don't always and most times catch them--speaking from a few years of experience of dealing with this, regular MRI and CT didn't do it either.  I am stuck with the stone, not a canidate for an ERCP to remove it due to the stone sitting in a pocket of the cyctic duct.  Be firm and tell them you want a MRCP done and hope you have a good doctor that knows what he is doing and exactly what to order on the test to be correct.  GI doctors didn't do nothing for me, no one would listen so I truly hope you have a good doctor that will listen and if not go to someone else until you feel they understand and know what your talking about, i have had to do alot of research of my own, but luckly my doctor knew what to order, just wish it didn't take these few years to go by for him to decide to do it.  I wish you the best of luck.