Gastroenterology Community
Complications after Ruptured Appendix - HELP!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My 13 yr old daughter's appendix ruptured on Saturday 8/12 or Sunday 8/13 and had emergency surgery on 8/15 after visits back and forth to the ER and Urgent Cares.  Doc operated that Tuesday night.  Total stay in the hospital was 4 weeks.  5'8" girl who entered at 148 pounds and left at 119 pounds.  She has not started school yet still this year.  A brief history and then my questions to follow.  On the 1st surgery, the appendix was ruptured and delayed diagnosis of it being an appendix.  An abscess had already formed, adhesions on right fallopian tube and right ovary, and a bowel obstruction.  Doc cleaned and irrigated and released the the bowel.  Ecoli bacteria and anarobes cultures grew out.

2nd surgery was on 8/24 after another high spike of temp and high white count (25,200) and she was having a lot of pain still.  Still hadn't eaten anything during that time period and not having a BM.  2nd surgery released bowel obstruction again and 2 abcesses.  One in the bowel area and one in the lower right hip area (gutter).  Had a JP tube, etc.  Positive cultures for Ecoli all 3 surgeries, anarobes, etc.  Antibiotics were Rocefin, Clindamycin, Flagyl, diflucan.  After this surgery, started having blood clots in her urine and pain upon peeing.  On 8/28, they put in central line & started the TPN, (nutrition)etc.  

3d surgery was on 8/30 after another high spike and high white count & she had been complaining that the "pain felt like it was in her bone in her hip" & a lot of crying.  Between the 2nd and 3 surgeries, she never did well & didn't feel well & in pain still.
Hi, I think because of the complex nature of your daughter's situation, AND because she has not reached the healing stage yet, you'd be hard pressed to find helpful feedback here, but I do have an idea for you. I agree that drugs and surgery are necessary in this situation, but I would want a Naturopathic Doctor (an ND), briefed on your daughter's status. He will make recommendations on the side. You have to understand that all of the drugs she is taking right will have some type of permanent side-effect on her mental and physical state, in addition to causing a need for other pharmaceutical meds and the risk of future dependency on THOSE AS WELL. I do understand their immediate necessity, however, a Medical Doctor will not tell you the truth about these medications, and they do get paid in a variety of non-traceable ways to prescribe them. An ND will give you 2nd opinions along the way. An ND saved my life, one may save your daughter's.
Also, I left this off earlier, but during her 2nd surgery, they did a bowel resection.  

Just so everyone knows her personality, she is a passive kiddo, not a complainer, very easy going, high pain threshold, involved with sports her whole life.....competitive fastpitch catcher...and runs long distance...for her to complain and cry is tearing me up and she just isn't herself. I just want her back to normal.  The last surgery was on 8/30. I would think that would be about enough healing time for the pain to subside on the front of the hips area and lower pelvis area.  She doesn't have "incision pain."  On the 3d surgery, they left the bottom incision open for it to heal from the inside out. It is JUST about closed..only a tiny bit left open.  The new pain in the top of the thigh and inner groin...its disturbing to me..and the painful urination.  Will the MRI she had last week show any new adhesions forming on the bowel or bladder areas?  They didn't say anything about that.  She only takes the pain meds when its past uncomfortable and can't deal with it.  

She also had a pediatric infectious disease doctor on her case also.  They got him involved between #1 and #2.  

I'm just about at wits end.  Sorry..any help is appreciated.
Sorry for the long response, but I can relate to your daughters problems, since I've walked that road before maybe I can be of some help.

I know from experience what pain & problems a ruptured appendix can cause. I've had a ruptured appendix and several small bowel obstructions(SBO) and multiple surgeries. I DO NOT think (as suggested above) that a Naturopathic Doctor would be a wise recommendation. There are times when it is MEDICALLY necessary to take certain pain meds. There's no use in suffering. Your daughter has been thru 3 major surgeries in a matter of 3 weeks. This is very traumatic to the body and will take a while to recover. I'm currently 7 months out from 2 laparotomies for SBO, Feb 16th & March 2nd, 2 weeks apart. It took at least 3 months for my bowels to return close to normal. After 4 weeks in the hospital and some heavy pain meds, I never was addicted. When I didn't need the meds I stopped without any problem. This is something I've dealt with off & on for 33 years & I'm still not an addict.

I'm a male and your daughter's problems may be slightly different being a female. Also I never delt with blood/ pain when urinating. As far as an MRI showing additional adhesions, they probably won't show, chances are she still has some adhesions, but the further along she gets from the surgeries the less likely chance of another obstruction. Basically, it will take a lot of time, TLC & prayer to get thru, but I'm sure she'll be back to normal soon.

As far as pain on her right & left side- has a doctor suggested possibly stool could be backed up because of her bowels not functioning for a while? It may take some time for bowel function to return to 100% again. I had the same pain this year after my surgeries. A CT scan showed backed up stool. Taking GlocoLax, colace & fiber definitely helped with a normal BM. Also, stay away from hard to digest foods such as any green leafy veges, popcorn & peanuts. Drink a lot of peanut butter milk shakes & Ensure, she needs to regain that weight ASAP.  

Good luck
Well, I was at work today and she called me at work crying cause she was hurting bad again...I took off from work and went and got her and then took her to her pediatrician this afternoon and she goes back to see her surgeon tomorrow a.m. and they scheduled her for a bone scan on Wednesday in the a.m.  So....no idea yet . . . I just want her better . . thanks for your comment earlier Austay . . . No idea on the bladder pain yet . . . determined today it wasn't in the muscle and its possibly in the bone.......

Any ideas? suggestions? has any of this happened to you?

She is STILL having quite a significant amount of pain in the front of both of her hips and the lower pelvic area....and still having painful urination in her pelvic area..not where it comes out.

Still taking the Neurontin, Tylor, Phenagran. Their original feeling was inflammation pushing on the nerves and thats why they gave her the Neurontin. If it worked on the pain, it was the nerves. She is still having the pain and to be honest, living pain pill to pain pill at this point. This isn't her and this is very frustrating.

Her doctor talked to a pediatric urologist Monday and he is supposed to be reviewing her scans and calling me. I haven't heard anything yet. On Sunday she says she is feeling a "burning feeling" under the incision site. OK..finally...she hasn't felt anything in that area at all the whole time. Kept saying it felt dead. All of what she is feeling is the front of the hips and pelvic area....

ANY HELP???? Thanks!
Urine is a dark brown color.....she is seeing her surgeon tomorrow and a pediatric urologist on Wednesday for a bladder scope.......she is still hurting daily . . . hurts to pee still....still having pain in the front of both of left & right hips and lower pelvic area.....

I am SOOO at my wit's end....I just want my kiddo back...up and moving and going......
Well my daughter went back to the doc last week......STILL having a significant amount of pain in her right hip, through her lower pelvic area and abdomen up to her belly button she says. The "hip pain" ..she keep saying it "feels like its in her bone." Still having a lot of problems urinating. Having pain in the pelvic area and up her right side into her back when she pees. The bladder scope showed nothing in the uretha and bladder. He said not stitches or nicks he could see. Her incision site puckers inwards and is hard as a rock all the way around it. The urologist had me feel it and said the incision was directly over her bladder and that "its possible the way it healed inward that the scar tissue has adhered to the bladder." That's a quote. Well, we go back and see him in another week now on the 7th of November. The Ditropan XL seems to be doing nothing. No relief whatsoever for her.

They did an ultrasound. Found a 4.3 x 4.3 mass on her right ovary. Said it more than likely just a cyst and are doing nothing for it. Said it would more than likely go away on its own. They are trying to contribute that to her pain. Well, she's had 3 surgeries, all 3 in the pelvic area for that misdiagnosed ruptured appendix and the several abcesses. During the 1st surgery, there was already an abscess on the right ovary and fallopian tube with adhesions that had formed. The doc said everyone gets ovarian cysts from time to time. Well, she got out of the hospital on 9/11......its been long enough for the "constant" pain to go away and the painful urination. She is still taking her Neurontin, Tylox, Ditropan XL and Phenagran. She is still having some naseau off and on...the Ditropan XL seems to be doing nothing for her bladder. The urologist wants to check her ureters to see if there are adhesions or torsions. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! ANY IDEAS?

She is 13 and doesn't need to live life like this. She had absolutely no problems before all this and was healthy, and has nothing BUT problems since all this. She needs to get better, go to school this year, have her friends and athletics back. I have the friends at the house when I can to come see her.

I am at a loss......I want her pain free, up and running and running long distance and playing softball again. It takes a week here...then a week here.....then a week here to get in....to try something new..........SHE JUST NEEDS A SOLUTION AND TO GET BETTER. Her surgeon stated that it can take up to 6 months for the scar tissue to breakdown. Well, if that's what it is.....is she not gonna be able to pee without a lot of pain and also be in pain with that hip and the lower pelvic area???? That just doesn't sound right to me.....

Anyway, please help...
Mom
I need some help.  I have been having problems with pain in my upper and lower right abdomen for almost a year.  It started in lower abdomen and has moved to upper.  I have had so many tests now I don't even know where to begin.  The doctor removed my gallbladder in July and the pain has continued.

Since then I have been diagnosed with herniated disk in my neck and mid back with other disks bulging in same areas and in low back and have just finished ESI injections, and I am still having pain.

It seems that the pain still begins in my lower right abdomen to the right of my navel and diffuses until the entire area is in intense pain.  I visited with my primary care doctor again about it last week and was told just to stay the course with the pain management and neurologist.  I still believe the pain is originating from my lower right abdomen and something is wrong in that area.   She did take blood samples and all checked out, but did not do a urinalysis or xrays of the area.

Has anyone ever had any problems like this>  I am baffled and frustrated.
Hello:

Just wondering how your daughter is doing at this time.  I had colonic resection surgery three weeks ago today (due to complications-scar tissue-adhesions resulting in a blocked bowel from a ruptured appendix three years ago).  I was in the hospital for a week, I can't imagine three surgeries in a month.  That is too much to bear.

Blessings to you and your precious daughter.
My niece went in for emergency surgery for an apendictimy on wed.  Was sent home after two days with I might add a 102 fever.  One week later she's in a lot of pain vomiting and still with a fever had to take her to emergency room stayed four hours and the found nothing sent her home with an antibiotic.  Two days later still vomiting fever  put her in hosptial.  Dr says she has pus pockets,  My sister calls and asks me what to do the Dr is only giving her antibiotics and she feel her daughter is getting worse.  Was a 100 lbs looks like she has lost 15 lbs won't eat vomiting in pain.  She got a phone call today after two day at work that her daughters blood count is very high and the Dr feels now that the infection (pus pockets )  have spread and that they need to do another surgery to irrigante and place a drain. Come to find out the the appindex had ruptured and no one told my sister.  I'm scared that there might be other complication.  How is your daughter after this time is she better?  Has anyother problems arrived?
My ruptured appendix horror story Back

I was seeing an acupuncturist for about four weeks to treat a supposed small intestine / ileocecal valve issue (he established that). The ileocecal valve is located right next to the appendix. Tuesday before Thanksgiving 07 I saw him for a treatment and the very next day I suffered from a fever and pain in my abdomen. I initially thought it was a bad case of IBS and called his office to inquire. He suggested to take acidophilus and Vitamin C.

The pain never went away and I called his office again on Monday after Thanksgiving. He suggested I come in. I was in no shape to do this, but drove the 40 miles to his office anyway. He insisted it was a missing enzyme, tested me with biofeedback to establish which enzyme would be best for me and sent me on my way with the remedy. I had explained the location and severity of my pain. He simply shrugged it off. This is a man who has 35 years experience and claims to be the guru of acupuncture – Dr. Sunderlage of Elgin, IL. Yet, he was unable to pick up the usual symptoms of appendicitis. Where does that leave biofeedback and acupuncture? Sometimes we simply need a Doctor!

The pain got more and more excruciating. The next morning, I finally could not take it anymore. In the wee hours, my boyfriend took me to the ER at Chicago’s St. Joseph Hospital. I cried and moaned in agony, I needed assistance walking. I would have done anything for the pain to go away. The Doctor suspected an appendix problem right away. I was given some pain killers and prepped for a CT Scan. In my agony, I had to drink a big bottle of white liquid for them to see my abdomen on the scan. I hurried up drinking the liquid. I wanted to move on and get rid of whatever was bothering me. The pain grew more and more intense.

The CT scan confirmed a ruptured appendix. I was getting nervous but somehow felt relieved that we knew what the issue was. Within an hour I was in surgery. The anesthesist confirmed the surgeon had 25 years of experience and knew what he was doing. I begged the Doctor to put me out right away. I could not lie there much longer. Never in my life had I experienced pain like this.

A couple hours later I woke up in the recovery room. I was freezing and felt weird. After about an hour they put me in my room. Shortly thereafter, the surgeon paid me a visit and told me my appendix case was the worst in ten years. The appendix must have burst a couple days back and it was free-floating in my abdomen. It had also blown a hole into my colon which made stool leak all over my abdomen. A couple hours later and I would have been in ‘septic shock’ and all help would have been too late.

The surgeon just shock his head, wondering why I had waited for so long to come in. I explained the situation to him, mentioned the fact that I thought it was IBS and the acupuncturist story. He could not understand how I handled the pain for so long.

I expected to be out of the hospital within a few days, but the surgeon warned me I’d be there at least four or five days. I ended up staying for five days. Five days with lots of pain and discomfort. For three days I was given morphine for the pain. I suffered from fevers for two days. Fever as high as 103.5. Anti-nausea medicine, Morphine, Anti-biotics were given intravenously and Tylenol by mouth to lower the fever. The Morphine gave me psychedelic dreams and visions. I did not sleep on that stuff. Every time I closed my eyes, I was transported to another planet. It got kind of annoying after a while, but it surely helped the pain. A drain was also left in my abdomen, puss drained out for seven days.

The second day in the hospital, I called the acupuncturist (on Morphine) and informed him about what happened. He acted dumb, but admitted he should have picked up the typical symptamology for appendicitis. In the meantime I have written a letter to him, asking for a refund for his near-deadly treatment.

Only days after the surgery I realized how close I was to death. I am grateful and lucky to be alive. I ended up in a great hospital with wonderful care – thanks to my boyfriend who reacted quickly.

Now, two weeks after the surgery, I am still hobbling around, but getting stronger. Total recovery is six weeks. I can’t lift anything over 10 lbs, can’t work out. I am trying to gain the weight back that I lost in the days after surgery. My appetite is only slowly coming back. It is amazing what kind of grief a little appendix, a remnant from the past, can cause. Remember, sometimes a real Dr. is the only one who can help. Natural medicine is great, but it nearly killed me. If surgery is needed, only Western medicine can help.

If you ever suffer from a pain in the lower, right corner of your abdomen – go to the ER right away!

My pain isn't nearly that bad, but I'm hesitant to go to the doc. I have IBS, and GERD and anxiety. My doc last April put me in the hospital for tests but they couldn't find anything. As of the last two weeks I've had bouts of fevers and RLQ pain, and have even woken up in the middle of the night in agony. I'm just tired of doctors telling me it's all in my head and that its all triggered by anxiety. The pain fluctuates, some days really bad and others not quite. So, I just don't know what to do...
I was an active atheletic senior in highschool when I first got pains in my stomach. I went to the hospital after 36 hours of throwing up sick. The hospital sent me home and said that it was food poisoning, after evaluating what I told them about my lunch, (I waited to eat my warm egg sandwich at softball practice three days earlier). When, I was still not feeling well and constantly throwing up, in severe pain (60 hours later), I returned to my doctor. I was only 17, so I was still being seen by my peditrician. He diagnosed me with a sexually transmitted disease and sent me home with antibiotics. I barely made it home from his office I was in such severe pain and throwing up all the way home. The next day (6 days since the onset of the pain) his wife called our home and spoke to my mother to have her bring me in for more testing. For all of you that have had your appendix rupture the next part of my story was the most painful. The hospital was over an hour away so every pot hole was so painful and stoplight was like eternity. Once we got to the hospital, I underwent three hours of testing by six doctors that they brought in from other hospitals. They had me drink a full abdomen of fluids so they could do a sonogram. The sonogram devices was not pleasurable. Then I had to do a standing and a lay day x-ray. When all of the test results came back inconclusive and I was incoherant, the did an exploratory surgery. The reason they kept sending me home is because my appendix had long since ruptured and that because it had ruptured and my pain was not localized they couldn't diagnos it. I was actually very fortunate to have my appendix be cradled in my intenstines which held the poison once it ruptured, or I would not be here.
I am 33 now and have had a ruptured cyst(size of a softball) on my ovary and an almost ruptured gallbladder removed (size of a banana).
I guess what I would like to know is, could having my appendix ruptured for so long cause other complications in other organs or systems in my body?
Softballchick, you're post here was over a year ago but recently I've had the same ordeal with my 13-yr old daughter, almost identical to your story and wondering how things turned out for your daughter.  An update would be appreciated, as I'm really worried about my daughter's future health.  Thanks.
MY 9 yr old had her penndix taken out on June 26 about a week to the day she came home ,we had to take her back to the ER and they found she had 5 pockets of infection so they did surgery again .that made 2 within 3 weeks . She has been home and no better . we went back to the ER  today, July 26 which makes a month . they cant seem to find out the problem . Blood work looks good and her last CT scan looked good. BUT SHE IS STILL IN PAIN!!!  IF YOU HAVED ANY INFO. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. she tells me mom I cant take this pain anymore. all I can do is give her TLC. she has also lost about 5 -10 lbs within a month.. need help!!

Thanks AllStressed
im 15 and my appendix exploaded in april 3 days before i went to the hospital. i had my surgery on april 25. i had abess the size of a soft ball in my stomach,it was intense =D. peritonitis was fun also. im still dealing with the after effects of it and its not fun. my bowls do not work properly, i have a sexy 6 inch scar from the top of my bellybotton down. i was in the hospital for 8 days. i had to wear whats called a wound vac because i had so much infection that they couldnt close my stomach up. i was on antiboidics for about a month after i was discharged. so a little food for thought if you are throwing up and cant stop and your doctor tells you your fine and sends you home with meds you shove up your *** while you continue throwing up five more days, theres definatly something wrong. go to the doctor. i would of much rather had the laproscopic surgery than the one i did. i was out of school for a few months. i had nurses come to my house everyother day after i was home from the hospital. i did get to go to prom tho with my sexy wound vac =] this is not fun and very hard to deal with after. it is also very expensive for those who do not have health insurance. this ran my insurance about $69,900. this was for ultrasound, xrays, ct scan, surgery, room stay, wound vac which we had to rent, at home health care and the medicine. yeah not so fun on the wallet. i had to miss cheercamp this summer which is very upsetting for me. i was able to attend drivers ed tho and now im on my way to getting my license =] ive been working out everyother day to get back in shape and it is very hard. my advise for anyone who has had this happen is to use heating pads religiously. i also drink a lot of water. idk but i think it helps =]
my son had a ruptured apendix. after surgery he is in the hospital with adhesions. today he had another procedure to free the adhesions. What more can be done and what is the likely prognosis?  thanks
I am so sorry about your daughter and I will pray for her.  My son is 11 and just had his 2nd surgery, one following the appendicitis/peritonitis.  He had bowel adhesions with blockage.  I am scared that this will be ongoing.  I am going to look for a second opinion.  Have you looked into traveling to a good pediatric hospital for another opinion?
My son had a ruptured appendix and has been in the hospital for three weeks. When they realized what was going on and removed the appendix it had abcessed. The doctors said it was localized and a week later he had another abcess (abscess) and also had to clean out his pelvic region that had pus. peritinosis. week three he is still not eating and throwing up and they found a third smaller abcess (abscess) so they said we are making progress. He was a picky eater to begin with and he is only six years old. any advice?
My aunts appendix ruptured it was three days before she went to the hospital.They put a tube in her then did the surgery.They said her appendix had been becoming inflammed for several years and causing all her previous pain years before the rupture.Now her white blood count is high,potassium is off and low grade fevers lots of pain and they are about to release her in a couple days.It sounds like something else is wrong but what please help.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        concerned neice
Over the past weekend my son of 13 years started with an abdominal pain and vomiting.  He could still play but on Sunday evening I took him to the ER with severe pain and vomiting.  The doctor diagnosed him with a virus in the stomach, put him on a drip as he was very de-hydrated.  The pain medicine and drip had him smiling again in 2 hours and he was sent off home.
The next day he stayd at home and his pain and vomiting started to worsten.  Monday evening it was so bad he could not walk or talk. I rushed him to the ER again where he was again very much de-hydrated.  A drip was given to him and he was then taken up in hospital.  Blood tests showed nothing.
The next moring a sergeon took a look and did some blood tests again, those tests showed some inflammation.  He operated the same day and removed a 25cm long appendix!!  Already ruptured.  The intestines were cleaned and he is hopefully now on the way to recovery.
He stood up the very next day 5 times to go to the bathroom.  He is only passing urine, but has no bowel movement. Gas started coming through this morning.  Hopefully he is going home soon.
The pain is very severe, but he is strong.  He is on a 'clear' diet, but has no apetite.
I have 2 questions:
1.  How come the appendix is 25cm long?  With this, the incision made was longer than normal, as they could not see what was going on.
2.  His hand palms and under his feet is very much yellow.  This was before the operation and seems to be a bit less now.  Why the yellow hands and feet?
do sorry about ur daughter, I know it's been a couple months since you wrote about ur daughter, I have a daugher with interstital cystitis, and endometriosis, some of your daughters symptoms sound very familiar.  I pray not especially the endometriosis, will keep her in my prayers... and hope she has had a full recovery and that you will not need to read this..