Gastroenterology Community
Complications after surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Complications after surgery

I had gallblader (gallbladder) surgery a week ago and it was done laproscopic..  I was ok the day of the surgery and told my the nurses that I would have some surgical tape across the wounds and to just be careful when I take a shower the following day and they would eventually come off..  Well while taking my first shower I began taking the bandages off per the surgeons instructions and come to find out I had eleven staples in my stomach all together..  4 in my belly button and 3 right below my chest on an incision that is about 1 1/4" long and 2 in two different incisions 1/2 inch on my right side...  So I called the doctors nurse and asked if these staples should stay in for 2 weeks when my follow up apptment was due to the appointment being made before my surgery and she said they should stay in the whole 2 weeks..  I have been reading about this and most things I have read says the staples should be out in a week..  Is this true?  Also I am having a severe pain on my right side about middle ways down my rib cage and right on the edge of my ribs..  I asked the nurse about this and she said it would get better in time..  Well its been a week now and I still wake my family up at night yelling out in pain when I yawn or take a deep breath the pain feels like a knife sticking in me..  Is this normal after surgery?  Also after a week I still have some drainage from my belly button and my navel sure doesnt look like it use to..  I was sent home about 2 hours after my surgery and I am being told to walk as much as I can and it will get better and was told there would be nomore pain medicine given to just take ibuprofin and tylenol pm since it is all a bunch of inflamation (inflammation) that is bothering me....  Any help or answers on this would be appreciated I just want to know if Im being given the runaround and being brushed off and should I make an appointment or try to get in to see the doc before I wait another week with these staples and this pain in my side...????  Thanks
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers