Gastroenterology Community
Constant Gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Constant Gas

For as long as I can remember, I have had unusually frequent gas.  When I was younger my friends and sister made fun of me and so i tried to hold it in or make it silent.  This did not stop the problem or block the odor, however, and 19 years later I still have this problem. The gas comes more frequently when I am anxious, but it is almost always being emitted, even when I don't feel as though I am passing gas at all.  It is really messing up my life. People don't want to be near me because of the aweful odor, and it's just really embarrassing!  I eat very healthily and don't notice an increase after eating certain kinds of food. I am about 105lbs and 5'3" and am not very physically active, but even when I do exercise more it doesn't seem to help any.  For the most part I am a pretty, above average healthy person. It is also worse when I get really, really hungry and then again when I eat after being really, really hungry, but again it is constant even when I don't feel that there is anything wrong. Please help; if there is anything that I could bye of do to make this better please let me know.  
Tags: Gas
  • Wind :/ (1 replies):
    Ever since I can remember I have been fairly gassy. I fi...[more]
  • Anal Seepage (2 replies):
    I have like sweat leaking from my butt. It's clear and ...[more]
I think if the problem is that consistent you should definitely talk to your doctor about it.  In the mean time, they sell many over the counter anti-gas pills.  Gax-X is the major name brand.  
Could be irritation to some foods. Fiber foods often has this result in many. Lactose intolerance is another offender, even just oil or fats in food. The best way to identify what causes it is to pretty much cut out almost all foods limiting to just a few things that don't cause gas. Then ever 2-4 days try 1 new food just once and see if you get gas over the next 2 days. Then repeat. It can take a while to test all foods this way. It works though. Once you ID what is causing the problem you can identify the problem more than likely. Sometimes it easier to do it this way.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers