Gastroenterology Community
Constant nausea?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Constant nausea?

I’m an 18 year old female, who for the 2 months, has been experiencing transient nausea and vomiting. It all started on my first day back at school, where I started to feel severely nauseated when first entering the school, however it soon subsided after I walked around and started talking to people.  I did however, continue to experience mild nausea throughout the day, and felt too sick to eat anything that day. The next morning, I woke up at 6 AM, terribly nauseated and unable to eat. I soon began vomiting violently. I felt much better after I vomited. The next morning (at almost the same time), I vomited again, and the cycle of morning vomiting continued for about 3-4 days until my doctor gave me a few injections of phenergan (I tried oral Maxalon, but I just vomited it back up). However, my appetite was still poor. Doctor assumed it was a virus. I didn’t really feel any nausea again until I went back to school – however it was only mild and I didn’t vomit. On another occasion, the nausea became extremely severe and I had to vomit. I felt MUCH better after I vomited (some days I just couldn't keep any food down at all.)

After this happened, there was a period of approximately 1 week where I didn’t experience any nausea or vomiting and my appetite came back a little bit. Then, out of the blue one morning I started to feel rather nauseous, however it subsided rather quickly. The next day, however, I became severely nauseous again, and the day after that I woke up vomiting.

My nausea is now pretty much constant (but it’s really strange nausea – because the nausea is originating from my neck or my throat almost, rather than my stomach, like if my boyfriend touches my neck my nausea gets worse and I almost start to gag) and my appetite is very poor. The only other symptom I’ve noticed is head ache and a feeling of pressure in my lower back (kind of like someone is pressing on my back.) I also get a lot of abdominal cramping and pain underneath my rib. Usually I get no other symptoms with my nausea when I’m at home or relaxing, but if I’m at school I also get an accelerated heart rate and slight dizziness. One of the things I’ve noticed is that the nausea DEFINITELY gets worse when I’m stressed. It is also worse in the mornings and improves in the late evening.

All my bloods are normal except a positive ANA 1:640 with a homogenous pattern, high white blood cell count and marginally low protein and iron levels. 2 of my LFTs were also raised to 70 or something. My doctor hasn’t done anything because he's told me it's stress and I just need to get over it. If it is stress, I have no idea how to control it so I'm very frustrated.

I'm just wondering whether I should pursue any other investigations or just accept his diagnosis of stress? I think it's certainly a possibility, as it definitely gets worse with stress, but I'm not sure whether I'm getting anxious because I'm worried about the nausea, or whether I'm anxious thus getting the nausea...

Thankyou so much for your time.
How is your relationship with your boyfriend? STRESS can do some crazy things to your body. I had a similar problem last year for 6 months. After my boyfriend and I broke up....it went away the next day...crazy huh?
Stress should not raise your WBC or LFTs.  I suggest finding another Dr.  You could possibly have gallbladder issues or other stomach problems.  You could start with some testing to rule things out.  Have you had an endoscopy, CT scan or ultrasound?