Constipation & GI problems following colon resection
I had a colon resection of the sigmoid colon in Feb. 2007 with a temporary colostomy.  While I had the colostomy my bowels would move 4-5 times a day. n The colostomy was reversed in April 2007.  Prior to my surgery I suffered from chronic constipation for at least 35 years.  Since having the colostomy reversed I've had nothing but problems with constipation, gas, bloating, pain, and cramps.  I have to take high doses of magnesium and Vitamin C daily just to have a BM.  My GI tract is so sensitive now that even drinking water leaves me bloated.  Often I can't eat and can barely drink because I'm so uncomfortable.  It's gotten to the point that even the magnesium doesn't always work and I've been using enemas 3 times a week for about 4 months just to be able to function.  When my surgeon reversed the colostomy (with open surgery) I had terrible adhesions.  I also sometimes have pain and a tight knotted feeling ewhere the colosomy scar is and beneath the scar in the colon.  Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing my problems?  After reading the other posts I suspect it could be adhesions, nerve damage, partial obstruction.  My surgeon never warned me of any post surgery problems I might experience.  My internist said it can take 1 1/2 years or longer to hopefully fully recover to normal function but that full recover may not happen.  Is this true?  Am I making things worse by using the enemas?  I afraid of losing all function if I continue but if i don't use them everything gets all backed up.    

Have you tried a diet very high in fibre - for example:-

- pulverised fresh fruit + some bran
- pulverised fresh vegetables + some bran
- organic wholemeal bread
- yoghurt to which bran has been added
- high fibre cereals

If you can, try this diet and maybe cut down/eliminate laxatives/enemas etc etc

Good luck
Morecambe
My  mom has had constipation for over 50 yrs. She struggles daily. but now, not for two years!
I discovered what long term pain patients used to treat constipation for the drug use they have to endure.
Here's the recipe!
1 pound figs
1 pound prunes
1 pound raisins
4 oz senna tea or tea leaves
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Boil the tea with about 2 quarts water. Steep it for 15 minutes till dark and rich in color.
remove leaves or bags by straining.
Add dried fruit and other ingredients with just enough tea to cover the fruit by two inches.
Mild boil about 10-15 minutes until fruit becomes soft. More tea may be added . You want the tea about one inch over the fruit when done.
Cool a bit off the heat . Pour in blender. Whip into paste.
If you dehydrated it, you would have fruit roll ups!
It  tastes pretty good and can be put on toast etc.,... or eaten by the spoonful.
It will last in your freezer up to 9 months.
CAREFUL! a tablespoon is pretty strong! Start easy...you might get the trots.
PS- If you use the dehydrated figs, remember to trim the stems off first!@@@!!!!
They have a nasty way of poking the mouth when in the fruit paste!
And of course, the prunes are seedless!
And yes, enemas are very dangerous used regularly. they deplete the body of mins and vits needed to heal faster.
I had a hysterectomy in April of this year, and while performing the surgery they realized the endometrosis had grown into my colon and had to do a colon resection to remove the affected part. Since then, I have not had one normal bowel usage. My surgeon said it would talk about a year for it to heal properly. I take miralax, prune juice and 3 stool softners a day and sometime still can't go, but the urge to go is always there. I am at my wits end.  I just want some relief.  And after you complain so much people get tired of hearing you. So, I feel like nobody understands what I'm going through.