Gastroenterology Community
Constipation Gone after colonoscopy?!?!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Constipation Gone after colonoscopy?!?!

Hi everyone,

I am just curious about this....

Two weeks ago I had a colonoscopy since I was having constipation and a feeling that I was not "going" enough.  The results were normal, no disease process found.  The colonoscopy itself was pretty painful for me, and they had to give me the max of the medication for sedation.  They said I had a "twisty" colon, and that was probably why it was painful.

Well, ever since the colonoscopy, my constipation and feelings that I have not gone enough are gone.  I go twice a day, normal amounts now.  It's great!

Has anyone every heard of this??? I am perplexed.  I would ask the gastro, but I don't go to see him anymore since he was a referrral for doing the colonoscopy only.  

Has anyone ever had a colonoscopy "cure" their constipation????

ccl
Gosh, you should be so lucky! I have had Crohn's for some 37 yrs, and I guess due to the pre-op meds and clearance, I get constipated afterwards for about 3 days. Bliss, when normal life is going about 6 times a day.

Don't understand why the colonoscopy was so painful. When the gastro puts the pre-med sedative into my hand, next thing I know is being woken up by a nurse with a cookie and cup of tea. I have had about 15 colonoscopies and never had any pain - I would ask your doctor why you did - I don't think a twisty colon is adequate enough information. Something is wrong there, and if I were you, would seek a more plausible explanation.
6 times a day!  Lordy!   My friend's boyfriend has Crohns.  He takes many medications.  But she also put him on some natural stuff too, and made him change his diet to almost total vegetarian and no fat.  Supposedly he is doing WAY better.  But I don't know much about Crohns.....

I was also told that my colonoscopy was painful because I had prior pelvic surgeries, including c-section.  I was told that scar tissue (adhesions) were partially to blame for the pain as well.  

All I have to say is that after being given the "max" of Versed and Fentanyl, I was in a complete stupor for 48hrs.  I thought I could go to work the next day, but was unable to drive (let alone move around much... due to the sedation).  I had no pain afterward, just DRUGGED to the max...

I am 39, good shape, power walk 45min/day, so I don't know why the drugs hit me so hard.

But I am happy to have a "cooperating" colon for now!
Yes, indeed. I had a colonoscopy after a pain episode some years ago and, even though I'd thought things were "going fine" before, I felt like a new person after the colonoscopy. I guess that's why so many people swear by colon cleansing. I don't think it's the colonoscopy itself, but the prep that cleans you out/"reboots" you. Hope the good feeling continues!
I recently had a colonoscopy and was sedated to the max they said. Ya right;;  I saw the entire thing on screan and that tube was painful coming out and am still constipated. I could have driven myself home if my husband would have let me. He had one prior to mine and was out like a light. I suppose a colon clensing is a good idea once in a while.  
Th exact same thing happened to me it is great had constipation for one year and now gone after colonoscopy very strange. Maybe colonic irrigation would do same thing may go if not too expensve and const comes back
I had a colonoscopy three weeks ago and am having improved bowel health since. I'm on an anti-depressant that has given me constipation for 3 years. But since the colonoscopy I no longer have to strain to get out hard lumps. (Previous to the antidepressant I had NO problems bowel-wise.) I hope this lasts! I too wonder if colon cleansing once in awhile might be a healthy thing to do!