Gastroenterology Community
Constipation and Upper Right Quadrant Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been researching Upper Right Quadrant Pain and there are so many choices as to what could be causing it so I'm adding to the list that I have constant severe constipation as I think this may be a mitigating factor -
HOWEVER it may not be?

Symptoms
Pain can be dull but generally sharp and feels like I have a swollen organ which eventually 'deflates'.
Now sorry to sound gross but I have to explain here, because constipation makes the problem much worse however it can be there without it; if I need to empty my bowels, this 'swollen organ' becomes trapped under my ribs' or it feels like it is trapped between another organ. This is the only way I can describe it and It is agonising. If this happens as it often does, the URQ pain, lasts for up to a week before it goes away. It is constant but I can sit quietly without it hurting as I am now but if I move then it will hit me again. I sometimes get pain on the left side too but this is rare compared to the right.

Certain foods will irritate my stomach and make matters worse but I also have IBS. I take medications for GERD as I also have chronic pain due to a spinal disorder. I have a Neurogenic Bowel which is worsening. Tried everything.
Doctor thought I had gallbladder stones but scan indicated nothing. Still not sure if I have a gallbladder problem. Blood test show everything absolutely find apart from an underactive thyroid which I did not know I had.

I'm 38 and about 40Ibs overweight. Cannot exercise as such apart from hydro which I do weekly and love, I eat the right foods and do not eat junk food. If the husband gets the UK 'traditional fatty fish and chips' it really irritates my stomach but that said I will attempt this once every other month maybe as a treat but cannot eat a whole meal. Take the batter off the fish and do not eat the chips! I have just realised that my downfall is that I love candy......Oh dear.
Always constipated and again not meaning to sound gross, I get concerned that my bowel is becoming backlogged and this is causing the pain and inflammed feeling. There's a kink or corner and I wonder if this is the swollen part but I really don't know and someone else may?

I'm reading that many people have had their gallbladders out and still have this pain and so I'm not sure that this is what my pain and their pain is? If I can come up with something before I go back to my doctor it will help enormously. Anyone who has this pain knows how horrible it is and I would love to have an idea of what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

hi,your symptoms mimic inflammatory bowl disease, although it may be related to other factors, namely cysts, liver inflammation,diverticulosis, i would strongly recommend you have a colonoscopy, your gerd problem could be a result of your spinal injury, when one or more discs slip, your body frame drops and puts pressure by stretching your organs and opening the sphincter of your stomach, which in turn starts the acid production,for your constipation you should try eating fresh pears and keep away from caffeine for a while as it aggravates your constipation, cheers.
I have the same problems wit right upper rib pain with chronic constipation.  Been dealing with this for about 7 yes. Just had a Sitz study done again.  This problem really wears me down. Has anyone had their large intestine taken out and did it help the pain?
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.