Gastroenterology Community
Constipation post colectomy
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Constipation post colectomy

Can anyone share their thoughts about continued constipation after total colectomy -- removal of the colon with no bag.  The surgery went perfectly; the recovery was hospitalization for 17 days with tube down the nose into the stomach to remove bile; and little food and virtually no bowel movements.  Since discharge the bowel movements have been rare.  Any ideas on how long it will take or types of diet would be helpful.
Thank you all.
Tags: Diet
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If you are eating somewhat normally, please contact your doc. With a total colectomy you probably should be experiencing very frequent, watery fecal material output.
Blank
Hi - I agree with Calgal - after a total colectomy, the normal symptoms are regular (~8+ times per day) watery motions.  I overcame this by eating plenty of fibre in the form of pulverised fresh fruit and pulverised fresh vegetables to which bran had been added as well as home made muesli (oats, bran soaked in milk to which grated fruit/nuts etc have been added).  Also drink ~ 2 litres of water per day.

Maybe you should try this type of higher-fibre diet - especially if there is a chance that your constipation actually results from too much "bland processed food" as well as a lack of fluid.

However, I do think that you ought to consult your doctor/surgeon as well.

Good luck
Morecambe
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979