Constipation problem
since discontinuing my prescription for Lipitor, I have had very hard bowel movements.  What is this caused by and how can I prevent this in the future.  I am 63 years old, eat lots of vegetables, fruits and fiber, and get lots of aerobic exercise daily.
thank you.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include dietary causes, inadequate fluid intake, stress, GI infections, inflammations, GI motility issues, hormonal/ endocrine issues, medication side effect etc. Aside adequate fibre intake in diet, I would suggest taking plenty of fluids for a few days and see if it seems to help. For moderate symptoms you could try some OTC laxatives. If you do not notice any improvement of the symptoms worsen, I would suggest consulting a gastroenterologist for a detailed evaluation of the possible causes and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!