Gastroenterology Community
Coughing, Dry Heaves, and Vomiting

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Coughing, Dry Heaves, and Vomiting

My son, who is 17 yrs old, has been experiencing some type of problem that he gets a feeling in his throat, he then coughs and gags. Sometimes he will also have the dry heaves or vomit. All the doctor said is that maybe because he doesn't eat a lot like other people, it could be the acid in his stomach. Well, the doctor gave him prilosec prescription which did nothing. I don't know what to do now. Do I take him to a specialist or just find another doctor in general?
Tags: diarrhea
Do you think it could be allergy (to food or polens, or animal's hair, or some chemicals - lacquer on new furniture and such)?

Most common food allergies are to fish, shellfish, peanuts and tree nuts. (in children to milk, soy eggs, and wheat). Symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash/itching, difficult breathing, face flushing)
appear shortly after eating that food.
Diagnosis of allergy is made by skin test (suspicious substances are tried).
I have suffered with the same issue as long as I can remember (I'm 46). Every doctor I have talked to about it is clueless. I have been able to determine some of the factors that can cause it to flare:

Alcohol
Caffine
Stress
Anxiety

Several people suffer from it, but nobody knows what causes it. If I take Zanax it helps to ease it, which makes me think it is more anxiety and stress than anything else.

Because of it, I can not wear anything tight around my neck. Ties, tees, turtlenecks

I know this isn't much help, but hopefully just knowing other people suffer the same thing is of some comfort to you.