Could an ulcer also cause constipation
I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer in January after having an EGD.  For the past year or so, I've had a disruption with my normal B.M. pattern.  I've never had a long term problem with constipation, I used to have a B.M everyday but now, I might go every 4 days or so.  (I apologize for being so graphic) When I do have a B.M. I don;t have trouble straining or anything, the stool is very soft but much darker than usual.  I'm wondering...could the ulcer be the cause of the constipation?
The ulcer is probably bleeding causing the dark stool, and if I were you I'd contact your GI and address this new symptom with him.  I would think the ulcer would be healed enough by now to not be bleeding, so he needs to know about this.  Take care..
Isis, are you taking any medication for the condition? If so, it's possible the medication may be causing the problems. Many GI medications, like others taken for a variety of conditions, can cause alterations in bowel habits.
The only medication I've been taking for the ulcer is Prilosec.  I've been taking Exforge 10mg for high blood pressure for 4 years and have not had a problem with constipation.  The constipation and soft stools started before the Ulcer diagnoses and Prilosec.  I recently had a CT scan and was told I have spots on my liver.  I'm wondering if this could be a cause.