Gastroenterology Community
Cramps - no vomiting/diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Cramps - no vomiting/diarrhea

I've been having these painful cramps for almost a week now, without vomiting or diarrhea. They almost feel like menstrual cramps - in the back - except for they are higher up, and all through out my midsection. I have never had menstrual cramps that felt like this, and I'm not near my period. I would say it's similar to the feeling you get when you have diarrhea, but I'm going to the bathroom as usual, no constipation either. They are becoming increasingly more painful and it's kind of scary. Does anyone know what would cause this?
Are you saying the cramps are in your back ?  If so this may be kidney stones or infection.
Yes the cramps are primarily in my back, but they are also on my sides and front and feel more intestinal then kidney. I think I've had a kidney infection before, and the pain was only localized to the area where your kidneys should be. This feels more like all over - in the middle, side, mid and lower back, and right above my uterus too. Kind of a whole bunch of midsection cramps. Can a bad kidney infection give you cramps through out the whole midsection?
I had a kidney stone a few years ago and had bad cramps everywhere for like a month beforehand it also hurt above my pubic area.  One day I woke up and had cramps really bad everywhere and thought I was getting ready to have diarrheah it felt like a stomachache.  It hurt in my stomach sides back .  I then threw up and went to the er.   I ended up passing a small stone. I was freaked out thinking I had ruptured my bowel or had appendicitis since it did not really hurt where the kidney was so it can present this way.  It could possibly be that or something going on with your intestines or maybe endiometriosis.  I would start at the primary doc and see if he can do some tests .  
To me this sounds like Gallbladder.. I read if it feels like a tight belt around your waist and cramping that's what it would be. It may rupture so I would go to the Dr. asap! Or it could be your colon which could also rupture, like mine did.. and you don't want that to happen. . I had more cramps on my left lower side and my back hurt a lot too..mine was in my Large intestine part of colon.. I'm not so sure about the small intestine and how that would feel but i'm guessing it would be more in the middle like you say.. I was also going to the bathroom a lot.and would say, im not constipated.. but it still ruptured. If you start throwing up get to the hospital right away.. hope this helps :)