Gastroenterology Community
Crippling pain under left rib cage, what could be the cause

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I've been suffering with chronic pain under my left rib cage for over 3 years now. I've been in hospital lots of time since this started. I've had camera's down and up, scans, gallons of blood work and a laporoscopy and still no diagnosis! I've lost a stone and 5 pounds leaving me seriously underweight and am struggling to eat. I get bouts of diarrhea and constipation and often feel nauseaus. I was told by the Surgical Consultant in the hospital that he had done all he could and he did nt want to see me in "his" hospital ever again! I've been living on painkillers all this time and feel they are damaging my health too. I came across Chronic Pancreatitis from looking up my symptoms to see if i could figure out what is wrong and it was like reading my own story on the site! Has anyone else heard of this or actually suffers from it? Id love to hear some sort of explanation or treatment for this.

This discussion is related to pain in left side under rib cage.
It can be cholecystitis. Acute cholecystitis and gall bladder disease can cause severe epigastric and right upper abdominal pain along with green colored stools. Left sided pain may result when the liver due to bild duct obstruction is effected.

You need to consult a physician and get ultrasound upper abdomen, liver function tests and gall bladder evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have not had pain as long as you have, but I was also very fed up!  I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with me for several months and it got to the point that the doctors just made me feel like I was a lunatic.  All of my pain was on the left side of my body.....the upper back between the spine and shoulder blade, my left rib, just below the breast, and sometimes lower back pain.  A week and a half ago was the first time I felt the pain on my right side, and I was pretty sure I was having gallbladder attack.  I went to the doctor and an ultrasound confirmed that I have sludge and gallstones.  Since, though, the pain is still mostly on the left.  So, it may be something to look into.  I had heaps and heaps of blood tests done and  sed rate test and all came back normal.  I literally feel like crap every single day.  I get so hot and nauseous just walking around the grocery store, fatigued, never know when I may eat something that will cause diarrhea,have had a low grade fever for nine months, etc.  I've not had stomach troubles for over a decade, so that was a pretty good indicator that for me something was wrong.  I hope you find some answers!