Gastroenterology Community
Crohn's & Hives?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Crohn's & Hives?

I have the same question, can Crohn's be associated with acute hives?  I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 5 years ago.  I have never taken my meds because I don't feel like it is severe enough.  I have diarrhea every now and then, but nothing I can't deal with.  Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, I broke out into severe hives (raise, red, white in the middle).  I was under a severe amount of stress at the time, and blamed it on stress.  Eventually they got so bad, I had to go to the dr. to get a steriod injection.  She referred me to an allergist.  The allergist ran some blood work, ANA, etc.  Everything came back normal.  He said it could be related to Crohn's but didn't say much more than that.  Was just wondering if the hives could be related to Crohn's or if it is stress related.  Every time I go off the antihistamines, the hives come and go...

This discussion is related to Crohn's and Hives.
Avatar n tn
My Crohn's is, in contrast, quite severe, but when I was first diagnosed and very thin and ill I did get raised red and white hive-like bumps on my legs and arms (large and sore enough to be interesting enough to be photographed for a medical journal) and they decided that htey were things called erythema nodosm which had got infected.  They are not always a sympton of Crohn's and I was seen by a dermatologist because it was definately more about the skin than any gastro stuff, and they gave me antibiotics for the infection and I just had to wait for the remains of them to go as I got a bit better.  Five years on and the fat on my legs is still slightly damaged and looks weird from certain angles.. so go and ask your doctor if he is sure!