Gastroenterology Community
DIY Enema

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

DIY Enema

can be a crude subject but I think it's important.
I'll enema on occasion, maybe once a week, I use standard tap water from the shower.
I don't do it all at once, I'll take a little bit of water inside, release it back out, and so on until I feel 'clean'.
I do this just to clean the rectum before anal sex, and I've heard it has some health benefits.

However I see a mixed bunch of negative and positive opinions on it, what are the pros and cons exactly?

for whatever reason, who else does this? Has it impacted your health in a negative way?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The negative of doing any type of enema (water or chemical) is that it teaches your rectum to only be able to have a bowel movement with the help of an enema, and you can have difficulties with constipation or difficulty having a bowel movement afterwards.  The supposed "benefits" are that is "releases toxins" and "cleanses your bowel".  I don't buy into any of these benefits and think companies that say this are just trying to scam you.  I have used warm water enemas and fleet's enemas in the past due to constipation.  I have many health problems, but I don't think any of them were caused or made worse by using enemas (mainly warm water enemas) occationally.
Thanks for the reply!