Gastroenterology Community
Daily pain, hip joint and Diverticulitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

About a year and a half ago I was hospitalized and diagnosed with Diverticulitis.  I was treated and released after about 5 days.  I followed up with a GI specialist and he recommended a colonoscopy.  Everytime I schedule one I have another episode.  So I haven't been able to have one.  I feel as if my doctor isn't listening to me.  I have days that I'm in so much pain I can't move.  I call my GI Dr and he always calls in meds and says "see me in 2 weeks".  He then does bloodwork after 2 weeks of my being on antibiotics and after the episode has cleared up and of course, all bloodwork comes back normal.  I did have a CT done in the hospital and it did show acute diverticulitis.  But now he's saying that since my bloodwork is fine and I haven't ended up back in the hospital that it could just be IBS.  True, it could be, but why not do a CT DURING an episode so we can see what's going on?  I also feel like he should actually see me during an episode instead of phoning in meds and seeing me afterwards.  He has no idea how much I'm in unless he sees me. It's like he doesn't believe me about how much pain I'm in during an episode.  Now, I'm not experiencing abdominal pain, it's extreme pain in my left hip joint.  It hurts to lift my leg in any way. It's everyday and it's interrupting my daily life.  I'm worried that what I have could be cancerous, but since I haven't been able to get any tests run I don't know for sure. I feel like my body just isn't right, something is really nagging about all this.  I'm only 36 and I shouldn't be in this much pain daily.  I take Aleve for the pain, but it just doesn't touch it all. Not sure if I should get a 2nd opinion by another GI, or go to an Ortho dr about the hip pain, or could it be related to Diverticulitis?  Please help me, I'm at my wit's end and very depressed about my health and overwhelmed with all the things I'm unable to get done in my life right now.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers