Danger of Liver Adhesions
Are liver adhesions dangerous? I have just had severe abonminal adhesions removed, adhesions which caused a bowel blockage. This followed severe scarring from major abdominal surgery, infection and abcesses many years ago. The doctor cleared the abominal/pelvic adhesions, but left the liver adhesions in place. Said I should talk with a "general surgeon." My liver is hanging (per the photos) by significant adhesions and fastened to the inside of the rib cage almost all the way around the torso. These are not "violin" strings..they look more like posts! The flaps of the liver are actually lifted and suspended..as is my gallbadder. I can not take a deep breath, and any pressure on my ribs on the right side is painful. Other than the discomfort, are these adhesions likely to be dangerous and damage my liver? Is waiting an option, or should I go and get an opinion?
You are not alone I am having the same pain after a gallbladder removal whic had adhesions on it. Now I can feel this pressure on my ribs right where my liver is. Just like you I too can't take a deep breath.  It hurts when I stretch, cough, hit bumps really hard in the truck. I can feel the pulling. I don't know what to do, I am afrid my liver will rupture or something.  I am having a hard time trying to find anything out about my condition.  They didn't see anything on CAT scans. I just want you to know you are not alone.  Hopefully we will find help and answers from somewhere.  God bless you.
They are usually regarded as a discomfort only. I've had my share, and my surgeons have cleans up some, but not all, when in the area doing something else. They have never seemed unduly concerned about them, but they do realize that discomfort was a possibility.
I'm trying to find out the answer to this myself. I had my gallbladder removed in 2012. Tons of adhesions had formed on my liver and stomach due to the bad gallbladder. They were removed during surgery but new adhesions formed due to surgery. I was told by my doctor it's normal and unfortunate I'll have to tolerate the pain because to go back in to remove the new adhesions would lead to even more. It would get worse and worse. So four years later I'm still dealing with the pain. Some days are worse than others and some days nothing at all. I notice weather can cause the pain to increase. Recently the pain has been really bad. Pain meaning ache, not stabbing. Discomfort with deep breaths and under my right rib cage. Feels like a balloon is in there. I don't know if this could potentially damage my liver or not and it worries me. I can tolerate the pain although I'd prefer it to go away but my stress now is do I need to worry about my liver? I need it! Lol. This is very frustrating and although I feel bad for anyone suffering either this, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.