Gastroenterology Community
Deficating Blood

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Deficating Blood

I am a female, age 24. i noticed when I defecated I saw lots of blood. I thought it was my monthly cycle after i wiped i realize it was not. I looked in a miror and realized it was coming from my anal.
I have been a little constipated but it is the first time it involves so much blood what should i do?
Do you know if you have hemmorids? If you don't think so, their is such a thing as internal hemmorids. I had one burst and all the blood scared me too. I got in to see my GI doctor and he explained that they can burst and they do send out a lot of blood. He gave me antibiotic suppositories just to make sure I did not get an infection. I would imagine that your primary care doctor can help you also. I hope this helps you.

Is is bright red blood or a darker red blood? If it is bright red it is from your colon, maybe colitis? If your constipated you might have tore some of the tissue in the anal area and it bleeds. I work with dogs at a kennel and we arent alarmed when we see bright red blood in the feces because it is usually colitis or from being very nervous. If it is dark red than it is internal bleeding. If it is just a small amount of bright red blood I would wait a few days because it probably is a tear in the anal tissue or a hemmoroid. if there is alot of bright red blood i would call the doctor and if its dark red then I would call the doctor asap.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers