Desparate! 24/7 Very Loud Intestinal Noises
For over 10 years I've had horribly loud noises that come from the intestinal area, which is getting worse and worse. It's almost constant. When I touch the area where the noises come from (it varies, there are a couple different noises), sometimes it feels like something is bubbling almost. My primary doctor told me there's nothing to be done about it, and it wasn't a big deal, but it is. It's taken over my life. It's all but eliminated my social life; I call into work when we have meetings, I can't watch movies with friends, can't stay the night anywhere (it gets worse at night and in the am). I've developed a phobia of silence and any situation that requires it due to this. I've cut out foods, alcohol, all in an attempt to stop the embarassment. Can anyone give me some idea of how to make this stop? I am desperate...
Hi. 36 y/o male here with the same condition. Mine seems to come from all directions down there. Left and right side, up, down and in between. What most alarmed me was when I noticed it on the right side. I could put my hand there and it was palpable! I figured it was my liver as well as my stomach. It would gurgle, groan and make noises I don't have a name for. Then again, I've been a heavy drinker for the past 6 years and am currently trying to abstain or cut way, way back.
I guess possibilities include IBS, acid indigestion or maybe something more serious which is what I'm looking into. Currently, my biggest concern is that it's my Pancreas excreting digestive enzymes at inappropriate times. Alcohol not only messes with your Liver, but your Pancreas causing it to do this during alcohol consumption. My theory is that my years of alcohol abuse have either damaged it or at the least messed with it so much that it functions abnormally. Personally, I'm in the process of having blood work done to see what abnormalities may be going on in there. If the tests come back fine, I will have to assume that I just need to either quit drinking or moderate and hope it resolves itself. If the tests are abnormal, I'm probably looking at an Ultrasound or Cat Scan.
This is not to say your condition is dire. Have you tried Prilosec or another Stomach acid med? I do take one and it seems to help. But I do know how embarrassing and  distressing it is. I would express your concerns more to your Doctor. You might even post this on the ask for Medical advice side under Gastroenterology. You may even consider making an appointment with one.
Good luck and let us know what you discover.
I used to think I was the only one who had a problem w/gurgly stomach!  Mine finally improved after I made some diet changes, but it's returned recently because of medication I have to take that causes constipation as a side effect.  If you don't feel "done" when you go to the bathroom, or even practically unaware of your digestive process, then maybe try some of the following:

- keep yourself hydrated (preferrably w/water--lukewarm or hot...avoid bubbly stuff, unless you need it to have a good burp!)

- make sure you're getting plenty of fiber to keep things moving along (I used to think lettuce upset my stomach, but when I took physillium husk each day, lettuce made me "go", but I wasn't getting gurgly in the interim)

- avoid triggers foods or drinks when you don't have the luxury of just lounging at home for a day or two (I used to have a cocoa, or mocha, w/croissant for breakfast each day...and it never occured to me that maybe something in that combo was causing the bloating & cramping I'd experience a few hrs. later)...it sounds like a pain, but keep a food & symptom diary for just 1 wk; maybe you'll see a pattern emerge

- and finally, find a doctor who cares & won't dismiss your concerns (stress makes things a lot worse, but there are physical causes that need to be ruled out, like intestinal infections, parasites, etc.)

I hope you'll let us know how things are going...
Hi, I'm a nutritionist.  I assume that you have seen a gastroenterologist and have had all the tests possible to find out what is causing this and all came up negative.  The sound MIGHT be gas.  Try taking Activated Charcoal capsules.  You may have to take 5 at a time.  Don't take when your on meds.  This is not a cure.  But it may help with the symptoms.  Lay off all types of sugar for awhile and see if that helps too.  Including friut and fruit juice.  The only sweetener you should eat is Stevia.  I like "NOW" brand.  You can get it at the health food store.  Sugar ferments in some peoples systems.  I would also find a holistic doctor who does a test called a "Heidelberg Gastrogram" (google this).  Good Luck!  
I had the same problem and was tested for H pillory and was positive.  I was treated and the noises are gone.  Good luck!
i had the same problem for some time. i am a student and its really uncompfortable being in a class with everyone quiet and have the intestins gurgling around. and even worse on exams ^^,)
today i went to a doctor after reading this forum and he told me this is called aerofagia (portuguese term at least) and its caused by gas acumulation and its common to happen in individuals with irritable intestins. he prescribed me some pills called Kompensan S (again this is the name in portugal, i dont know if its the same out there), and the active substance is dimetilpoliSiloxane, which works almost like charcoal eliminating the gas. i started taking it today and i will try to come again in a week with an update.
ive been having the same problem as well. its so embarrasing everyone thinks im farting =/ it all started last year in social studies. i almost failed the class because all i could think about is oh no here it comes, then try to stop the sound but that only made it louder. and it started again this year in english. the class room is so quiet and im sweating and my face is all red just because im so nervous and embarrased. it feels like air just moving up and down through my intestines, making loud sound as it moves around. if anyone knows how this can be stopped please let me know =[
it is parasites. it have the same thing. got my dogs vet to check my stool. i had to give 5 stool samples. one each week for 5 weeks because i wanted to be sure the parasites would have their eggs in it. the vet thought it was my dogs. he found hookworms in two samples.
I understand what everyone is going through. I, too, have had to deal with this for the past 5 years now. I doubt it will ever stop. Every forum I go to in search of answers mention people that have been suffering with this condition for 10 or more years. I do not want to live like this. It is embarrassing when no one understands these noises are natural, but just louder in some and not others. At least this is the information I have been told and have seen floating around online. If you ask me there is nothing normal about it. If it were normal then everyone would have a loud digestive system. It is not the need to relieve flatulence or have bowel movements but the digestive process in its entirety. My stomach even growls loud when I am hungry. I have tried antispasmodics, I have tried diet changes, I get plenty of fiber and water. I have even done cleansing. Nothing helps and I do not think anything ever will. I will keep searching for answers and I will continue to have hope but deep down I know I should give up. This is a curse and I wish everyone affected by it luck in the future.
dgirl24, you described my problem to a tee, even to arranging to be elsewhere when meetings come up. You have my complete empathy; I *do* know what you're going through. In fact (this is stupid), for years what I dreaded more than anything was being called for jury duty. Well, the day came and I panicked. I did what I'd never done before and have never done again - accepted some Xanax from my wife. Not legitimate, I know, but it was either that or, well, I don't know. This absolutely did the trick, because anxiety exacerbates it like crazy. If that's the case with you, you might discuss with your doctor something like that to be taken only in those quiet, stressful situations that you can't avoid. Please post back how you're doing.
Hey guys, i completely understand what all of you are experiencing.  For about the past 3 years i was suffering from those loud and embarrassing noises.  It was severely affecting my college studies (Microbiology B.S.).  I would leave class early, turn in exams early, all because my intestinal noise was so embarrassing.  After 3 years of people telling me its a "mental" anxiety that triggers it, i suddenly had a light bulb go off in my head.  

In biochemistry, we had began studying artificial sweeteners and their effects on the LARGE INTESTINE!  They tend to cause irritation, inflammation, and spasms which can all lead to those noises we hear.  These zero calories sweeteners are bad news, trust me!  Long story short, i realized i had started a daily routine of using splenda in my coffee instead of sugar about the same time i started having problems.  I used artificial sweeteners for about 3 years and now that i have eliminated them completely ALL THE NOISES ARE GONE.  I finally have control of my social and school life.  I hope this helps you guys out....  You have nothing to lose, just try eliminating them from your diet.  You maybe be consuming them without even knowing it.  They are used in almost everything now.  You should even think twice about the gum you chew.  Read packages and look for sucralose (splenda) or aspartame (equal).  Sugar alcohols, although not as dangerous, can causes excess gas and also lead to internal noises.  Best of luck and i hope it brings you the same success!
I read on another thread that a teaspoon of olive oil would help, and it has.

I take it on an empty stomach in the morning and it has quieted my loud stomach noises almost completely.  It's much better, anyhow....  

The thread I saw explained that digesting fats produces fatty acids that relax the noisy stomach contractions we hear.   Maybe that's why, or maybe it's just that a little oil helps everything move along.   Who cares?   It seems to be helping (5 days in) with no noticeable side effects (except a little burping).  

I wonder if an Omega-3 pill would have the same effect?   does anyone know?  
Hi everyone! I am a fellow frustrated individual with excessive stomach noises. I have been reading all of your blogs for over a year now. I always thought about writing here (and other forums similar to this), but procrastinated since I didn't find any cure to this disease. So at last, I've taken the time out to sit down and update you all on my version of the story. Well, mine got really long; so I just decided to upload it on Google Doc. This way I also get to update my post as any new findings come up and you always get the latest version of the story. Here's the link:
http://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1W3pJ42gtngtAmg3ecyHRv9BNztI8n-_inLNiRgKfa9A&hl=en
Someone posted about the use of artificial sweeteners on this or another forum.  They were the problem in my case and after two years of having changed from those sweeteners containing only saccharin to a supermarkets own brand containing Sodium Cyclamate as well (could be incidental they also 'contain' milk) I realized it was then I developed the constant digestive noises/gurgling. After swapping back to saccharin only sweeteners, noises fast disappearing and digestion returning to normal, all over the space of one day.

Wouldn't have thought that two sweeteners in a cup of tea every now and again and diluted by all that liquid (the tea:-)) could have caused such a severe reaction.  Probably won't solve it for everyone but worth checking and omitting all artificial sweeteners from the diet for awhile (cola etc) including solid food containing them.  Hope this helps.  Didn't know whether to post or not but thought it was worthwhile if it helps just one person and also reinforces what others have written about artificial sweeteners.  Thanks.
I am so glad I found this thread. I've been suffering from these loud noises and gas since I was 14 ( just before starting high school which I regretfully shudder to remember) . Im 32 now. I think it's easy for guys to laugh it off if they make a farting noise in class but it was horrifying as a girl. I got so many disgusted looks from guys. I never participated in anything as a result of the anxiety of it happening in a quiet setting. I would have loved to do some acting in the school play but of course, I couldn't... I thought I was the only one. It makes me feel better knowing there are other people out there with the same affliction.  I've tried to explain it to only one friend why I get anxious about going to the movies and it just seemed like she thought I was being dramatic.  I've even switched jobs because of it even though I loved my coworkers. I now work from home for half the money I was making before. The thing is I love being social. I love hanging out enjoying people's company. I dread dating ( even though I'm still hoping for the one) and I fear sleepovers.  I wish I could just be "normal".. Anyway I second the fact that peppermint tea helps a little with the gas and as a result, the sounds aren't so bad... I'm going to try fennel next... Good luck to everyone with finding what works for u.
It started for me when I was 9, it *****, I hate it.
I know exactly how you feel, since I was a teenager I have suffered loud digestive noises and tried everything, the only thing I have found helps is taking digestive enzymes and avoiding wholegrain which has lessened the noises a lot. Unfortunately anxiety still upsets my digestion so in quiet situations I get nervous and my guts start churning, I just wish I could have a normal life where I'm not having to avoid quiet situations :(
Hello. I'm writing to you, because I want you to know that like you and me there are many people with the same problem. My doctor almost laughed at me when he was listening to the noise coming from my abdominal area...
It's so difficult to talk to people about it, even to a doctor. Having to explain everything is so humiliating...And there he was almost laughing...If I cannot trust a doctor...I thought.
I try to avoid silent places as much as possible. You name it... I avoid it.
But I haven't given up. I' m still looking for something that can help people like us.
At the moment when I know that I will absolutely be in a silent place I try to eat something before the meeting and with the meal I take a tablet of a product called "Gas-pitan", it's sold over the counter here in Japan, but surely you can find the equivalent in your country (http://kobayashi.hyakka77.com/gaspitan/99/).
Must be careful not to take too much of this "Gas-pitan" otherwise it's easy to become constipated. Maybe you can start with half and see how it goes.
Good luck to us.

I'll say a prayer for all of us.
Hi. I had the same problem as you all! I was going to school when half way through the year, my intestines just started making super loud and embarrassing noises. I tried everything to stop them with no luck. I soon  developed an anxiety disorder due to the noises and had to take a medical leave from college. While away from school, I went to see multiple doctors. I was diagnosed with IBS and none of the treatments the doctor gave me worked to stop the noises. Desperate, I went to see a nutritionist to see if a different diet could help with the noises. I went through an elimination diet. I first eliminated all wheat and then all red meat and dark meat, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, eggs, carbonated beverages, etc. Then lastly, I tried what is called a FODMAP free diet. FODMAPs are sugars found in some foods that are harder to digest and ferment in the intestines and cause gas. While on the diet, I was taking fiber supplements, multivitamins, and probiotics. You have to be careful because some probiotics contain FODMAPs or milk. After being on the diet for about 2 weeks, my loud stomach noises went away!!! I highly recommend going to a nutritionist and asking them about the FODMAP diet. It worked for me!
Have the same problem.  For 2 years.  Constant stomach gurgling, fart noises, horrible.  I am a massage therapist and work in a quite room with one person for over an hour at a time.  I tried everything i could think of to get rid of this.  Elimination diets, vitamins, cleanses....etc...  i eat fairly healthy as it is.  Pescatarian for over 20 years and eat mostly organic.  I believe I have found the problem.  Artificial sweeteners.  Xylitol seems to be the one that causes me the problem but all alcohol sugars seems to be similar Xylitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, etc....May want to look up them on the internet.   They are in everything you buy at the store.  This sweetener is said to be all natural and good for you.  Don't believe it.  It is in everything from gum to mints to toothpaste to many foods including healthy alternatives and diet foods. My problems seem to be almost completely gone now after 2 weeks.  noticable improvement after just one day without eating 3-5 small mints per day.  
I do have the same problem - Oooh gosh hear this when you are attending a Church Service and its quiet - I have lied several times that it happens when I am hungry - yet not.  A very embarrassing problem.    
I have the same problem. In a way, I think I'm lucky because I don't have some of the problems that other IBS suffers have. My condition is not painful and, apart from going to the toilet 3 times every morning, my symptoms aren't unbearable. However, those horrible noises are ruining my work life. Every time I have a meeting I feel terrible embarrassed. I completely sympathize with many of the stories here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have eliminated sugar and bread in my diet and that seems to have helped a bit but, more importantly, I have started taking symprove and I am full of hope. Apparently, if you take it for 3 months it can reset your friendly bacteria in your intestine. I have been taking it for 4 days only and I can function much better already. I am very hopeful that this con be a valid remedy for my condition.

I just wanted to share this with you. I have no link whatsoever with this product or company and I will review it again next month so I can tell you if it still works but the first results are indeed very encouraging.

Apparently they have run some tests in Kings College London (a very, very reputable institution) and it seems to have cured 57% of the people who tried it. Because my symptoms are 'minor' but very embarrassing, I figured out that I might be among that 57% of sufferers for whom Symprove works.

The downside is that it is quite expensive and a bottle (£20) lasts just under a week!
I suffer from this too. This condition is so embarrassing. It started right after high school. I was attending college and dropped/flunked out because of it. It was so bad that I was trying to find out if there were some type of clothing I could wear that would mask out the noises like some type of soundproof material. (Yes I got and still am desperate).. I finally gave it another try 5 years later. (What a waste of 5 years). I would eat less before class to help avoid the noises, but then my stomach would growl loudly from hunger. I learned not to do that pretty quickly. One good thing from having this was I learned to get done with tests as fast as possible so that meant studying hard and I ended up with the highest grade in the class. But my stomach noises were insanely loud. I always sat in the very back and made sure I went to the bathroom right before class. That helped a tiny bit. I'm not sure if this is linked solely or even mostly to the types of food we eat unless you have some type of allergy. I ate anything I wanted during highschool and not one time did I have this problem. I think it's a mind body connection. I'm thinking that the first time it happened it was very embarrassing and the next time I went to class I was paranoid it would happen again which in result made it happen. This then turned into a vicious cycle which I conditioned myself into. Google Ivan Pavlov dogs. It's funny the class I finished a few months ago was psychology, and I could relate to somethings taught because of this problem. However, I do get some stomach noises at home, but they are not as nearly as loud as they would be in a quiet setting nor do they occur as frequent. Honestly I would have to say 80% of the time its happens I was either thinking about it or nervous. I actually hate to say that our brains could be stimulating a reaction because that means theres no quick relief from a pill. I hope we can all get through this and I pray we do. I highly recommend going to John4660 link up there and reading his story. Good luck.
This has been misery for me for years, but apart from the remedies offered in this forum I've found two ways to cope with this at least partially. One is that whenever I'm about to go into a quiet situation like that, I wear a light jacket (saying the A/C's getting to me or something like that). During the meeting I slip off the jacket (ah, it's warming up) and just scrunch it against my lap to muffle the sounds. Another is purely psychological but effective. If it's a situation where I don't have to interact with anyone, e.g., not a meeting, then I wear headphones and listen to music. Silly, I know, but I find that in perfect library-type silence all I can concentrate on is that silence and that really exacerbates the situation. With headphones I quickly forget about the silence and gradually become more relaxed and comfortable. FWIW.
This problem plagued me for years. I tried gasx, muffling the sound, pretending like It didn't exist, eating more, eating less, cutting out bread, cutting out sugars, I tried charcoal capsules....this is not normal sounds and if your doctor tells you everyone has tummy grumbles everyone in a while, they have not had to deal with this. It's horrible! what worked for me was very strong probiotics. I got them from my naturalpath. You can find them in the fridge at a health food store; do not get the ones from the shelf of a regular drug store or grocery store. I have been without this problem for over a year and a half and it started to come back. I am taking the probiotics again and am noticing it is going away again. I wish I had taken these in University or before all those embarrassing work meetings. Just wanted to post and let you know what worked for me.
I was having the same exact problems and I tried this last week. Do not eat anything that contains milk and I mean anything. No milk chocolate, chips with milk, cookies ice cream, cheese even if its a trace of milk NO and see if it improves after a week or two. If it does even a little then re add milk and see if it starts to happen again. This worked for me so now I'm doing a whole diet change to exclude lactose. I know it may seem silly but just try it I had the same problem too and it became worst this year. You can feel your stomach bubbling and you know its about to make the sound and stress makes it worse. Not eating milk for a while has taken away the loud growls but i still sometimes feel bloated but I hope it will go away too. I'll keep everyone updated.
dlu
I have also suffered through similar symptoms for the past 4 years. I don't even think I remember life without worrying about this problem. It’s really starting to get out of control, and take over my social/professional life, even causing anxiety and panic attacks. So I started seeing a GI doctor recently. At first he ran some blood work and that came back fine. No gluten or lactose intolerance (which was my first suspect). The doctor then asked me to take a SIBO breath test (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth). This is a simple breath test that can tell you if there are abnormal amounts of bacteria in the small intestine. It came back positive.

To treat this the doctor prescribed me an antibiotic called Xifaxan which is supposed to kill off the bacteria in the small intestine. I just started taking this medication today, so no happy news to report (yet). But after doing some research on my own about SIBO I really think that this may be the root cause so I'm hopeful.

With SIBO, the bacteria interferes with the normal digestion  process (and can even damage the lining small intestine). The bacteria live off the food that we are unable to digest properly. There are antibiotics as well as diets that can be taken to stop this. Again, I don’t know if the SIBO medication will work, but at least it’s a lead.

So I’d say do some digging online about SIBO and ask your doctor if he/she would recommend taking the breath test.

I've only had this problem for 8 months but it is terrible. I'm in college and I noticed the problem towards my final days of my first semester in fall (I'm a freshmen soon to be sophomore). I remember going to my doctor and him just telling me that it was normal but it doesn't feel normal. I also went to a GI doctor and he told me the same thing. He said I could continue taking gas pills and asked if I could try a pro biotic. I tried taking align and that worked pretty well but still didn't stopped the noises. When I went back for my second semester I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to finish but thank God I finished and with pretty good grades. I also noticed that ironically my stomach sounds A LOT more when I get anxious about it making noise as oppose to when I'm with my parents and here nothing. I'm thinking of getting the SIBO test before I go back for my second year first semester. Praying for all of you out there because I know how bad it feels to have these noises control your life.    
I have this same problem. Propanolol and Gas X an hour and a half before meeting or quiet event. No caffeine the day of,and no alcohol the night before.  For breakfast have a banana and water. Works for me. If I have an am or mid am meeting.  if it's after lunch try to eat something really light-no gluten, like nuts, light salad, nothing spicy or new or sugary. Hope this helps someone I know how devastating this can be.
Hi there-
I was on this forum about 5 years ago, and was also having EXTREMELY LOUD stomach noises.  I just got them under control by doing 2 things; I stopped eating anything with aspartame (check the label on all sugar-free products, for instance it's in almost all breath mints except Altoids).  Eliminating aspartame worked for a while, but then the stomach noises returned.  My daughter stopped eating gluten, so in solidarity, I also went gluten-free.  WOW, low and behold my stomach noises have COMPLETELY STOPPED!  So, it was both aspartame and gluten that was causing me problems.  I've now been gluten free for 3-months, and I feel better and I am not embarrassed all the time about my stomach noises!
This saved me! Thank you!
I have managed to cure the problem that I had and you all talk about.  It was a long haul and to be fair I have had to give up alot along the way, but its fair to say it's been worth it.

The first thing I gave up was MILK.  I found that milk caused me no end of grief and I now drink organic soya milk.  I don't eat any form of DAIRY.

I then gave up ALL PROCESSED FOODS, no more ready meals,

I had to give up SWEETS, someone mentioned artificial sugars.  I found this to be a massive trigger.  I realised when I was doing weight watchers and I was eating their 1 point sweets.  My symptoms were worse than ever.  Not everything that appears to be low in fat is good for you.

The next thing I did was to change the way I eat entirely.

For breakfast - NO CEREAL. I eat fruit.  This is normally a chopped apple, banana and grapes.

Lunch, vegetables (raw) carrots / green beans.

For dinner I eat a home made soup the a bread roll (Always wholemeal)  This would be packed with potato, pepper, parsnips, cabbage, celery, green beans, vegetable stock.  What ever type of vegetable you like.  

For supper I will eat fruit.

THIS IS EXTREME, but so was my problem.  THIS WORKS.  

If I fancy something else I always wait till my rest days and I might then treat myself.  But generally I stick with the above.  ALL FRESH FOOD.  

Please note I'm dairy intolerant and some of you might not be, so it's worth doing a food diary and just going back to basics and then just adding things to see how your body reacts.  
I have the same problem been going on for about 7 months now,, its taking over my life.. no end in sight.

I just want to say that I suffered with loud stomach noises for YEARS, plus gas, constipation and general misery - 6 months ago I decided on a whim to give up wheat (although I still eat oats, and occasionally rye / barley) - within a week my stomach problems had reduced.  I was amazed, as I didn't really expect it to clear up so quickly. After about 2 weeks my previous problems had 95% disappeared, and I now live with hardly ever any stomach gurgling or gas, unless I've eaten the usual gas-causing foods like beans.  I feel like a 'normal' person again!  It's a bit of a pain avoiding wheat, as it's in so many things, but it's so worth it if you find it clears up your misery, so I really recommend you give it a try if you haven't yet.
Hi there - just wanted to say that I agree, wheat is causing so many people so many problems.  I'm a reluctant gluten-free person, but it's cleared up the horrible stomach and digestion issues I had for over 20 years.  I went to see several doctors and specialists - none of them suggested I try giving up wheat, they all generally seemed not to believe that I even had any problems, but I was the one who had to deal with so many embarrassing situations when my stomach just wouldn't shut up!  Going wheat/gluten free has changed my life.  It's not easy at first, but it's so worth it.
Sorry to keep posting, but I'm reading all these desperate messages and just want to try and help everyone!  You both posted nearly 3 years ago, but just in case you haven't tried it and are still having the problems, I seriously advise you to try giving up wheat.  I did and it has stopped my stomach noises, bloating, gas, constipation - I now have a normal life!  The doctors never suggested that I might be celiac, or that I should take any type of celiac test, so as far as I know I'm not celiac, but all those horrible symptoms seem to have been caused by wheat nevertheless.  I really hope this works for you - obviously not everyone is the same, but if you haven't tried giving up wheat - and I mean cutting it out completely - do give it a go.  You can still eat rice, potatoes, gluten free breads, and stuff cooked with gluten free flour.
Hi everyone I am a 20 year college student with the same problem. Last semester was horrible for me. The first few weeks of the semester I could barely get out of bed to go to class because I feared my stomach would make its usual embarrassingly loud noises. I even had a professor end a class early because my stomach was so loud. I literally hit rock bottom and was ready to drop out. I visited doctors and they of course diagnosed me with IBS which I figured was the problem. Anxiety definitively plays a huge factor in the stomach noises. That is when I knew I was ready for change and that I had to do it mentally. I knew the noises only happened because I was afraid they would. I first forced myself to sit in quiet areas alone, like the library. I focused on my task completely and of course no noises happened. I then forced myself to a group meeting setting (for my sorority). I sat close to the door just in case. When I felt the feeling before a stomach noise was to occur, I quickly stood up and readjusted they way I was sitting (looked natural, yet help ease the gas movement). I then made myself not think about it. My next task was to make it through a class completely comfortable. I have not achieved that yet but i hope to by the end of this semester. Last semester I could make it through a class without any noise, but I would still feel anxious about my stomach at least once or twice. I even explained to my teachers that I had stomach issues and to not be offended if i leave class every once and awhile. Believe it or not they all understood. I signed up with student disabilities so I could take my exams outside of the class room. That helped extremely! I made friends in my classes and explained my stomach is loud and there really isnt much I can do. Honestly the best cure is just not to give a flying fart if people think you farted if your stomach makes the sound of a dying animal. If people laugh at you who cares! They'll forget in a day or two and if they don't I honestly pity their lives. Don't let your stomach control your life. I know it's hard, I am still dealing with the mental and physical aspect of this problem everyday. My best advice like I said is just not to care. It's your life and something silly like stomach noises shouldn't control it. Just relax, because you never know if you'll even have tomorrow to worry about it. If you don't treat it like a big deal, it won't become a big deal in your life.
Other than the anxiety part I do have some remedies that I have tried that kind of work, or at least they calm me down mentally.

Before being in a quiet situation:
Drink a cup of fennel tea (Tummy Time Tea off of Amazon green container) I sometimes even bring the tea with me to class. Having something hot to sip on helps me relax.

Take a stomach probioitic or eat yogurt(activia)

Go to the bathroom right before

Sit in the back or close to the door
Sitting by a window helps calm me and gives me a distraction if I feel gas coming on

I know this may sound crazy and you'd think it would be just as embarrassing as the stomach noises, but I have found just telling people around me before class pretty much "Hey sorry if you hear my stomach during class, it tends to be really loud and obnoxious." Most of the time I've done this the person says hey mine can be loud too blah blah blah I understand. Just knowing that the people around you know that your stomach may be loud really eases the mind. You don't have to be like "How are these people going to react" you just know that they know that you know that your stomach is in fact loud. Yeah confusing, but try it out! It's way easier to stay calm and keep the loudness away.

Day before quiet situation:
Taking metamucial with lunch helps keep things flowing and cleanses my system before the next morning

I hope some of my babbling will at least help or motivate someone! I really feel for everyone because I know how bad this *****.Just take it day by day and the main thing is to just relax.I wish everyone luck and for quiet bellies!
Northern Europe here. Debilated by this antisocial condition for more than 14 years. It simply started in 8 th grade.

It completely ruined my life.

Same experience with (good) doctors - oh .. noisy stomach ? oh.. that's completely normal blah blah blaa...  

all tests/ checks turned out perfect, not good , but perfect.

So.. My suggestions what to do if you are one of those unlucky persons :

1. - Do some serious parasite tests. If 3 repeated tests show nothing, then move forward.

2. Find good , experienced HYPNOTHERAPIST.  Subconscious mind controls autonomous nervous system. You could simply  self suggest all these eating disorders and noises.

I must to point out that deep trance will be necessary. It can take time to get "there"

Thank you El_Fartismo. That makes a lot of sense. I will eliminate artificial sweeteners immediately.

Hi there! Thanks for this very useful response. Do you know of anyone in Toronto, Canada who does this pH Gastrogram / The Heidelberg Test? Thnx so much!
I dealt with this problem since i was in high school (about 10 -15 years). I tried everything that was out there. Every kind of probiotic. I visited the doctor who told me to make a food diary and watch what i eat; i was told there is no cure for this embarrassing stomach noises (IBS) I lived it with for many years and really I gave up on Meds and just prayed diligently about it. That was my solution. I am free from this stronghold today because i trusted in the healing power of Christ Jesus. I had nothing to lose; because nothing else was working anyway, so i trusted in Christ and i am free today. I no longer live in fear of my stomach but in complete freedom. Praise Jesus!
i have had this problem for almost 1 year exactly, i just broke down in front of my family showing them this website and telling them that its not all in my head or its not "normal". i am going to the doctors tomorrow to ask for a wheat and lactose intolerant test. I will let you all know how it goes. This has stopped me from going to college, i actually took a gap year because of this saying i was just :undecided" so now my parents have to explain how im not going to college to people who ask and make me feel horrible about my self, like i dont know im already a disappointment enough.

I will be cutting out wheat and dairy for 2 weeks and will get back to you. I truly hope this works otherwise i see no future for myself. This problem is taking over my life and it looks like its going to fully take over.
Hi guys,
First, I apologise for my English since I am not a native speaker. I have this issue for almost 10 years and it has overtook my whole life. Secondary school and High school was a nightmare. I am even thinking about leaving my current job (which I like) because of this.
This thing really is like a curse. My mom says that my stomach controls my life and she is right. It is the thing I think about the most during the day. I have an anxiety when I am in a silent room with other people - I even developed panic attacks. When I first started my current job at the office as an assistant I had to be taught how to do things - so naturally my boss would take a chair and sit right next to me to show everything. And that was the most horrible thing... I feel embarrassed even now. Because when somebody sits right next to me my stomach (actually intestine) goes crazy. My heart starts pounding and the air in the intestine starts moving, also I feel that I have to go to the bathroom - its like the air wants to come out but the holding in makes it so much worse because it starts aggressively moving up with a horrible noise. Also when I am hungry my stomach makes noises too  - they are as loud as they can be. Usually it happens in a morning when I am at work. I don't even feel like I want to eat but I have to because of my stomach. I force myself to eat something even if I feel I am about to puke.
I believe that I actually developed different as a person because of this. I feel (and look) miserable and sad the whole time. I avoid people and any other social activities, I am always worried about how the day will go and stressed out. People at my job think that I don't want to learn new things or became close friends but the thing is that I can! I cant even sit right next to a person - so how am I supposed to learn something new that somebody is willing to show me..?!
Thank you guys for your posts - it feels a little bit better to know I am not the only one who has this problem.
And yeah, there are some things that helped me a bit and also I obviously have done some research so I will share my thoughts.
As some of you already mentioned - dairy products, whole grains and parasites - these can be the reasons the digestive area is messed up. I wont go into detail. There is just one other thing nobody mentioned. It is a bit bizarre or whatever but I searched for answer in many places. This is one of the answer I got (and it makes perfect sense in my personal life). So here it is: digestive area symbolises the environment you are in and the information you "eat". So if you have a problem with the digestion ask yourself  - am I doing the things in life that I feel are meant for me. It sounds silly but I am a person who believes that everything is connected and our body is the last one that shows the problem. Your body struggles processing information that is not useful and meant for you - and it results in your body as a bad digestion. I don't really want to explain it any more since my post is already too long, but.. just think about it.. maybe you can see the pattern in your life as well.
Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for all your inputs.
I just happened to run across this post because I too have the same problem.  In my case It started with what my doctor diagnosed as giardia.  The stomach noises started after the treatment with antibiotics.  I'm still going back to the doctor next week because my symptoms of giardia have subsided but the stomach grumbling has increased.  So what I am wrestling with: what is the cause?  Could it be stress, lactose intolerance, lack of using a stronger probiotic?  For now I'm off to GNC to look for a stronger probiotic with a quick stop at the grocery store to get Activia. Oh yes and for the moment no more morning coffee.  Thanks again for all your inputs!
Happened upon this site in an attempt to get info re: my own noisy guts. After reading most of the posts, I am struck by how debilitating and self-isolating this condition has made so many. I'm writing this to try to be reassuring, as one human being to another, let me, please, point out: it is only noise!  It does not include any other, truly, socially disturbing aspects-(i.e. smell).  There are many people who have to try to live with so many other, more difficult conditions-(i.e. colostomy bags, Tourette's Syndrome, major facial deformities, etc.)  Compared to them, please realize how lucky we are---it is only some goofy noise!!  Don't let it negatively take over our lives---and if it already has made some drop out of school and life---get back in there.  If someone notices your goofy noise, just shrug and give them a goofy grin---if they can't take the joke, move on away from them--- because we don't need their ego-eating powerplays.  Get back out there and live, again---and be thankful it is really all it is---just some goofy noise!!    

Thinking about it logically, this should be a completely benign problem since at the end of the day these are just sounds, natural sounds which every human with functioning bowels produce, akin to sneezing. But when you're in a 3 hour meeting with a handful of other people, and your stomach is making very loud sounds every few minutes and others comment on it, it is difficult to think logically and embarrassment/anxiety kicks in. When that situation happens over and over and over again, it can make you fear any situation which involves being in a quiet room with others, which isn't exactly a situation one can avoid.

I've personally been working my backside off for years now to get into my dream job, which should hopefully happen soon, and that is where I have drawn the line for how far I will let this affect me, but I can empathise with those who have left their jobs/uni.
This is something im experiencing at the moment and its not to pleasing to hear when its silent that's basically my worst fear now because of this problem I have. Ive been doing research and most of it says that it could be a irritable bowel syndrome and the symptoms match up to everything I'm experiencing and some home remedies would be exercising,drink enough water,pooping when needed to,etc.
Plus I'm still in high school so I hate when it gets quite to take a test or notes or anytime
I have recently begun a morning regement of diabetic vitamins (fish oil, multi-vitamin-minerals, magnesium, chromium, alpha lipodic acid with green tea and vitamin c) and soon after my digestive system began grumbling during most of the day. But on the flip side, for the first time in my life my bowel movements have been normal although somewhat solid.  If I could just stop the rumbling, I would aa very happy camper...
Have this problem for decades.  Tried everything.

Some things that help but doesn't cure.

Metamucil helped a lot after your body gets use to it.  Took 3 months to get use to Metamucil.  Helps but still not normal.

Found out the gut has H1 receptors (histamine).  Took Zyrtec.  WOW.  Felt completely normal.  Miracle pill.  But only lasted for about a week and my body got use to it.  Now taking Benadryl.  Buy don't take it constantly or your body may become tolerant of it.  I am seeing a doctor to try to find something that helps all the time.  No success yet.
I found this forum back in January when I read Sunshine633's post. Like many of you, I've had a noisy stomach/ intestines for as long as I can remember. I mentioned it to my doctors that my stomach seemed to be noisier than most people, but I was told it was common. After doing the research myself I found out about gluten intolerance and the symptoms. The one thing that confirmed my suspicion was an article that showed the link between gluten intolerance and getting canker sores often. I would get horrible canker sores all the time and sometimes there would be 5 - 10 of them at a single time! My doctor was amazed, but never mentioned anything about it being a possible gluten problem. He told me that canker sores are viral and a virus was just running its course and the result is a canker sore. So for years that's what I thought.
Long story short, I wanted to get to the bottom of it so for lent (February 10th, 2016) I gave up meat, bread, and refined sugar. By the fourth day the noise went down at least 95%. By the end of the second week it was almost nonexistent. Now (7 months later) there is only occasional noise due to hunger and normal stomach noise. Chances are that most, if not all, of you are having a reaction to gluten and since your body cannot break it down correctly the result is those noises that you hear. Your best option is to avoid gluten which will be anything that contains wheat or oats (unless they are labeled gluten free). If the noise stops then you know that was the problem. If it doesn't stop after a few days make sure you are avoiding gluten completely and continue doing that for a few more days. If there is no change after a week or two it might be something different. Chances are that it's a food based problem, but you should talk to your doctor about it as well.
I'm 17 now. Dropped of of school in year 10 because of it. In therapy since then. It's causing me deppresion and really bad aniexty. My therapist think it's just me getting nervous about it going off so thats why it goes off. She went around my local shopping centre with a machine that she recorded tummy noises on trying to prove no one cares! Didn't work, two years later I'm going on anxiety and deppresion medication. Nobody gets it at all. So glad I found this. I take charcole tablets, They reduce gas. Really hope it gets better, I'm terrified of sleepovers and dating! I just feel like staying inside all the time even though I love being outside with my friends. It's got to the point that there is only three people I am truly comfortable sharing a room even just sitting watching tv.