Gastroenterology Community
Desperate for answers
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Desperate for answers

My husband has been ill for 14 months.  To make a long story short, he had a CT scan of sinuses and they were completed blocked.  He had sinus surgery and enjoyed feeling better for a few weeks once he had recovered from the surgery.  He continues to be ill and the symptoms all point to LPR, the interesting sub-set of GERD.  He is taking Nexium now two times per day (just started to times per day a few days ago) and still suffers from a horrible debilitating cough which can happen any time of day.  He is 57.  Ex smoker (quit 3.5 years ago) and also diagnosed with mild COPD.  He seems to have exascerbations of symptoms, from wheezing, to teary eyes, to completely stuffed up, to itchy throat, to losing his voice.  He also takes Singulair.  He does not seem to have had a sinus infection since the sinus surgery so that does not seem to be one of the problems.  His general malaise and lack of energy are scary as he is not naturally this way.  He is getting depressed about having been ill for so long.  He has also been through allergy testing and nothing too abnormal came up - we have lived in FL for a long time and eventually everyone here sort of becomes allergic to the molds and trees that never 'freeze' like they do in the north.
His cough is bronchitis-sounding but wholly unproductive.  He has been on many rounds of antibiotics in the past year (a huge worry) and is on Levoquin now.  What should we do?  Pick a new doctor and start over?  Perhaps the LPR takes many weeks of Nexium therapy for results?  We are desperate.