Gastroenterology Community
Diagnosing liver lesions- history Melanoma

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

History of Melanoma 16 years ago. PET last year reveled a "hot spot " in liver. Had CT of liver and at least 12-14 lesions were found. Had a follow up PET 4 months ago. New area in liver. Had MRI and the diagnosis was "most likely metastatic Melanoma."

A US guided biopsy was done of one larger lesion on the tip of my right liver. Showed "fatty liver change." A second biopsy was done w/ CT guided. Unfortunately, as the radiologist was not highly skilled, the SAME lesion was tested again. Obviously negative. Both times, the radiologist doing the biopsy refused to do more than one lesion and the same one was tested as the radiologist wasn't comfortable getting another one.

MRI showed numerous lesions all throughout my liver. CT's of liver 3 months apart shown lesions have grown.

I do not fit the typical fatty liver patient. Thin, not diabetic and never drink.

My last gastro is sending me to surgeon for a true cut biopsy or a laparoscopy.

I do know that Melanoma mets after 16 years are rare but I know someone that had it return at 16 years, and several beyond that.

I have never had an ultrasound of the liver, only used to guide FNA. Doesn't an US clearly tell if lesions are fatty or cancerous?

I have read in my research that multiple lesions are often biopsied in the same procedure w/ CT guided type. Is this not true?

One gastro said he could send me to an oncologist. Would one be able to look at my MRI and tell if these lesions appeared metastatic?

Lesion biopsied was 1.5 cm. Any idea how to find out what these lesions are for sure?
I really feel for you, I cant seem to get straight answers either!!  Do you have any pain???
Also, it does sound like you need to go to a different group of drs. I have done the same con't to go to the same group and I need to go elsewhere!!!
Yes, I have pain in the area of my liver, especially under the right rib.  I also have abdominal distension and am retaining fluid.  None shows up on CT but I am normally 5'8" and 125 lbs while eating whatever I want and STILL have a hard time maintaining that weight.  Lost to 107 lbs when this started and now am mid 140's.  ALL of the weight is in my stomach and I appear pregnant but I am not. I weighed 141 lbs today and 148 four days ago.  I weighed without clothing both times. Losing 7 lbs in 3 days in one's stomach must mean something when if anything, I have been eating MORE.

I will have a laparoscopic liver biopsy the first of next week that will hopefully rule out cancer in these lesions.

Good luck to you and thank you for responding.