Gastroenterology Community
Diagnosis with Blocked Bowels

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Diagnosis with Blocked Bowels

My mother has been ill this past week, unable to create any bowel movements, since last wednesday unable to eat as becoming painfully bloated. also unable to keep anything down, regularly being sick bi hourly.....the hospital and GP say she is not in enough pain for anything serious to be wrong? she has been given a new treatment via sachet to clear her condition but it is making her nauseous and dizzy, now not eating for nearly a week she is weak and the recent visit from GP says just keep trying to eat normal whole wheat foods/light etc food? combined with some stomach massages etc..

any idea what this can be, the doctor asked if she had eaten orange peel? but no....nothing like that

should she be taking b complex or vitamins to replace what she cannot eat?

answers if you have any?

Bionix
Tags: blocked, bowel, Pain, Eating, Vitamins, sick, diagnosis
Well, she needs to get her bowels moving again.  Enemas given several times a day for a few days will often break down what is inside enough to get it going.  If not, then there are various laxatives that will cause the bowels to move whether they like it or not.  The one I have best results with is stuff called "Baby Lax" and there are several other names, it's a little box and you squirt two in there and the stuff will come out in minutes.  

Constipation like she has can be caused by a whole lot of different things.  Sometimes medications can do this, especially antibiotics, or just plain not getting enough fiber or water on a regular basis.  She could try drinking a little Acidophilus milk or eating a little Activia yogurt, they have probiotics in them that help break down waste.  Whenever she normally goes to the bathroom, she might drink a half cup coffee about a half-hour before then, and that will encourage bowel movement.

Once she gets her digestion straight, she should eat a soft food diet for a while, to include wheat bread or oat cereal, she should drink some extra water, and do some easy stretching exercises, all of which help the bowels move.
Thank you for your input...i think those things you mention were tried initially.....she was admitted to hospital yesterday and has had an xray and a CT scan to determine the severity...they are proposing surgery this afternoon depending on what the results are.....she still i a lot of pain and discomfort...I'll keep you posted as to the results for future help.

thank you for your time.

B
I am a male 65 yrs old about month ago it started when i couldent  have bowel movement my dr give me laxative  which did not work,then  few days later  i was been real bad been sick my dr was called out and he give me sick tablets  they dident work now things were getting real bad i was been sick and the smell and taste  in my mouth was real bad again my gp was called to my home again when he walked in he said o dear me u going in hospital..an ambulance was called for  not not before long i was on my way to hospital with great speed..when i got into  hospital i was seen by number of drs ,and still been  very sick..they put me on drips  tubes  in me here and there..then when my  sickness calmed down drs came to see me they said i had  blocked bowel real bad and after they give me scans they found  some of my lower bower  had calapsed drs said i need operation right now but they could not operate due to my heart as iv got bad heart,for 8 days i was on sips of water  with fluids only ..no food ..the drs also said if id been left at  home another 12 hrs  i probly wouldent have been here ..i dont want to frighten anybody but with me having blocked bowel  stuff from my bowel was coming  up through my mouth  ..drs told me il have to have operation later this yr to remove my lower bowel..so i say to people out there if you think you have blocked bowel get to hospital realy ..get sorted   i will be  having lot more treatment over the next few months ..thanks for lisening ..all tc pls  ...
Best of luck to you!
thanks for that loen733 means lot tc