Diaphragm pain and back pain
I had gallbladder surgery almost 3 years ago but I still have the back pain and  diaphragm discomfort I did before I had the surgery. I had no gallstones but my ejection fraction was low.   The pain is right under my diaphragm and is worse if I do any lifting or bending. The radiologist said that my diaphragm is flat.  I have never smoked in my life but he said I have emphysema.  It is a very uncomfortable feeling. At times I have a burning sensation like my insides are on fire.  The pain also is in my back just below my shouder blades in the big muscles in my back.  I have to watch my diet very, very carefully.  I can not eat any red meat at all.  I can feel the meat as it goes through my digestive system and it takes about 3 days for it to get through which leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling for those days.  These symptoms may be related and then again it may be something separate.  I just don't know.  Can anyone make any suggestions???
From your description, I'm not sure if SOD (sphincter of Oddi dysfunction) can be considered as a cause, but you might want to look into it. A decent place to read about SOD is via the John Hopkins website that has an overview that may be helpful: http://hopkins-gi.nts.jhu.edu/pages/latin/templates/index.cfm?pg=disease1&organ=3&disease=12&lang_id=1