Gastroenterology Community
Diaphragm pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Diaphragm pain

I get a chronic pain in the right side diaphragm area immediately under the rib cage.  It is like a charley horse--a muscular cramp.  I can't straighten up  or walk or breathe without it becoming worse.  After an hour or so, it finally goes away. The area remains sore.  At times if I turn suddenly, I get a painful catch in that area. I have at times felt a lump there. Mainly, the pain feels like the blood has collected in one spot and is not getting through my system in that area.  Much like when as a kid, when I ran too much I got a pain in my side and had to stop and rest.  The pain from my diaphragm is horrible, on a scale of 10.  It happened for the first time about 5 years ago. My liver blood tests show anomalies.  Pancreas tests are a little high at times, but doctors say it is nothing to worry about. Gaul bladder tests okay.  Occasionally I have BMs that float. Otherwise, BMs are normal and occur two to three times a day.  Ultrasounds show nothing wrong. It is not gas and is never related to food.  Whatever this is, it is outside the box of all that has been diagnosed.  Since the  advent of computers and the internet, it seems doctors would be more informed of uncommon  illnesses, or at least would want to be.  Has anyone had this sort of pain?  
Tags: Pain
This sounds a lot like gallbladder problems despite the fact that the ultrasound is 'normal.' If the doc didn't do a HIDA scan with CCK injection that test should be done especially if you've got altered liver function tests. Also make sure to check your pancreatic enzyme level tests.

Keep in mind that an ultrasound may not show evidence of sludge, which can be a problem and cause a lot of pain typical of gallbladder issues. Your doc may be doing you no favor my telling you it's nothing to worry about - if it's sludege. Sludge can irritate the common bile duct and muscular opening to the duodenum. That can cause spasms which may - in some - cause a back up of bile and pancreatic juices and a host of problems in the long run.

While you're trying to figure out what's going on, you may want to consider following a low fat diet.
I have had my gall bladder removed because of the sludge mentioned by CalGal but I still have this discomfort in my diaphragm area. It really just started after I had a rough time with my colon - had some polyps removed - but the pain is kind of debilitating for me. It goes all across my midsection and down my back like towards my kidneys, which have diminished in function. Being a female I sometimes think doctors don't really take us seriously or they think we're trying to get pain meds. I would think an endoscopy of the top end would be a good idea.  
yea had mine for along time mabye 7 or so more years and it only get worse as time goes on had all the test done to se what it can be no resuntrenlts so doctors think yourmad and that you imangine thes things somedays you canput your finger right on the spot just below the right rib near centre found best relief is constant massargein area by physio it to do with the diaphram somedays you can be lying down and just press in centre of chest under ribs and whooooo the pain unbalivable 20out of ten instant and to top it all of iam 55year old male good luck let me know if you ever find some other aswer
IM having these same problems. This is the 1St . I don't know what too do. Any advice. I'm in excruciating pain.
Have you ever found any answers or relief for you pain?  I have the same thing, but it is on my left side.  I wish I knew what it was and it's driving me crazy.  I can't even take a shower because as soon as I turn to try and wash my back the "cramp" kicks in again.  Sometimes just driving in the car or turning around in bed can make it happen. No body I've spoken to has any idea what this could be.
I am a 50-yr-old female, and was diagnosed with COPD, asthma, GERD, sleep apnea, a paralyzed right diaphram, hiatal hernia, and eosinophilic gastroenteritis.  I'm hospitalized all the time, and my Kaiser MD's are saying there's nothing more they can do.  I'm on home oxygen, bi-pap, nebulized medications, including racemic epinepherin.  As my MD's put it "it's just like a perfect storm.

Any recommendations?  Do I stand a chance of completely regaining my health?

Thank you.
Kim
Kim how did they diagnose eosinophilic gastroenteritis?
I have these symptoms too!  Now I am not only experiencing it just off center of the middle of my ribs but on the right side just under my ribs.  CT is normal with the exception of a small amount of fluid by my spleen.  I had a hiatal hernia repair done just over a year ago thinking it was from that but with in two weeks I had another attack.  
I live in constant fear of it happening again due to how horrible the pain is.  I did find that the when I had my hiatal hernia repair they gave me valium for spasm.  I saved a few for if I had this pain again and when I had it I took it and it did help some.  If I get it right away it can head off a full blown lay on the ground attack.  Problem is they make me feel like a "Suzy wanna drug" when I ask for valium.  
I am thinking it is sphincter of oddi.  Google it... sound exactly like what I have.
I have no idea if this will help, but my daughter is having these same issues -- funny thing is, no one believes her and even they are nowhere near her uterus, they blame it on her period and ovulation -- I call bs.
I did hear that this has to do with low magnesium levels -- kind of makes sense -- when you have a charley horse in your leg, like during pregnancy, they recommend eating bananas for the potassium and this is just a different mineral that our body might be low on.
Her white blood cell count is a little elevated, but her iron levels are normal so we are going to try some additional potassium and magnesium and see what happens.
Try going to a homeopathic doctor - they will try and determine what your body is missing and not just cover up symptoms with pain pills.