Diaphragm spasm
I have an issue that can't seem to be diagnosed.  I get a spasm in between my ribcage in the front (sternum?) that makes me sweat, sometimes throw up, and the pain is awful.  It comes like a wave and then passes after about 5 -10 minutes.  It mostly comes when my stomach is empty and my IBS has my bowels blocked up.  The doctor has taken out my gallbladder to try to remedy this and to remedy the extreme burping that I get frequently.  It didn't work for either.  Any ideas?
. I have no ideas because I get it too. EXACTLY. They can't find out. Stress they say.
Sorry but maybe somebody can help us. Anyway at least we're not alone. There's two of us!
I sometimes have spasm issues right where you are describing. My cramping spasms are debilitating and relief is not felt until the wave of cramping is over. It only lasts a minute or two. I have noticed the spasm occurs when I have pressure on my colon or stomach area, such as coughing or when constipated.  I am searching endlessly for answers and figure it all has to do with diet and eating.  I think I may have found a good book to start with, named Eating Alive, written by Dr. Jonn Matsen, ND. It is an easy read all about digestion with illustrations. I recommend it to anyone with a stomach. Good luck to you all.