Diarrhea after drinking alcohol - Gastric Bypass
I had gastric bypass several years ago and prior to that rarely drank alcohol. Shortly after the WLS, I moved to a new town where drinking was the local pastime. I went out a couple nights a week for about two years and due to rarely drinking in the past and my WLS, I would become drunk quickly and often continue to drink too much. I have since moved away and rarely drink alcohol (can go months without) but even if I drink one glass of wine (or any alcoholic beverage) I must deal with the repercussion with diarrhea for hours the next morning. It doesn't seem to matter if I drink a lot of water prior to, during and after either.

I know I'm not an alcoholic because I don't "enjoy" drinking for the most part nor ever feel the need to drink. But I wonder if my WLS and drinking several nights a week for a couple of years afterward has caused the chronic diarrhea or if I've somehow caused liver damage which will never correct itself.  Although I rarely drink, I would like to be able to have a glass of wine during business dinners or social gatherings without dealing with diarrhea the next day. I would never drink if I had to leave my home the day after drinking, nor would I drink if I have company at my home the day after. Needless to say, it has put a damper on my life.

A little history as well, I used to suffer from chronic diarrhea my entire life where I would get diarrhea immediately after most meals. A doctor gave me a powder (usually prescribed for high cholesterol) to mix with a glass of juice in the morning.....it was an instant "fix". A permanent cure came with my WLS, although I fear it may slowly be coming back. I wonder if my diarrhea associated with any alcohol consumption may be part of my previous issue.

What tests/steps should I take regarding figuring out the true problem in hope for a cure? Should I have liver tests ran to determine if I damaged my liver a few years back?

Thank you for your help!!
Hi there,

No I don't believe this is a case of your liver and I highly doubt that you have done any serious damage to it from your short history of alcohol indulgence. However it can never hurt to get tests done to see what kind of state your liver is in. Gastric Bypass surgery alters alcohol metabolism, intoxicating the person at an increased rate and taking longer for them to recover. The fact that you have had intestinal issues since you were a child even makes you more likely to be sensitive to alcohol and other foods and substances along with the surgery you've had.
While it may be true that by reintroducing alcohol at a slow pace can build your tolerance for it, there are risks of further damaging an already-sensitive digestive system.
Try non-alcoholic beverages! They can be just as tasty. :-)

All the best.