Gastroenterology Community
Diarrhea after drinking alcohol - Gastric Bypass
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diarrhea after drinking alcohol - Gastric Bypass

I had gastric bypass several years ago and prior to that rarely drank alcohol. Shortly after the WLS, I moved to a new town where drinking was the local pastime. I went out a couple nights a week for about two years and due to rarely drinking in the past and my WLS, I would become drunk quickly and often continue to drink too much. I have since moved away and rarely drink alcohol (can go months without) but even if I drink one glass of wine (or any alcoholic beverage) I must deal with the repercussion with diarrhea for hours the next morning. It doesn't seem to matter if I drink a lot of water prior to, during and after either.

I know I'm not an alcoholic because I don't "enjoy" drinking for the most part nor ever feel the need to drink. But I wonder if my WLS and drinking several nights a week for a couple of years afterward has caused the chronic diarrhea or if I've somehow caused liver damage which will never correct itself.  Although I rarely drink, I would like to be able to have a glass of wine during business dinners or social gatherings without dealing with diarrhea the next day. I would never drink if I had to leave my home the day after drinking, nor would I drink if I have company at my home the day after. Needless to say, it has put a damper on my life.

A little history as well, I used to suffer from chronic diarrhea my entire life where I would get diarrhea immediately after most meals. A doctor gave me a powder (usually prescribed for high cholesterol) to mix with a glass of juice in the morning.....it was an instant "fix". A permanent cure came with my WLS, although I fear it may slowly be coming back. I wonder if my diarrhea associated with any alcohol consumption may be part of my previous issue.

What tests/steps should I take regarding figuring out the true problem in hope for a cure? Should I have liver tests ran to determine if I damaged my liver a few years back?

Thank you for your help!!