Gastroenterology Community
Diarrhea after drinking

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Diarrhea after drinking

I am 25 y/o male. I am having a problem with diarrhea, and I think it's related in some way to alcohol.

On both occassions I had been out the previous night drinking fairly heavily. What I drink doesn't seem to matter but the end result is the same.

The next day after the drinking I wake up with what feels like a regular hangover. However, on both occassions I went out and had a big meal a few hours after rising. I feel fine while eating, perhaps a bit bloated. However, shortly after eating I feel like I am going to pass gas but instead, it's diarrhea.

On both occassions, after going to the bathroom, I felt fine. But the diarrhea comes over very quick, and would be a real problem if I wasn't close to a bathroom.

I have drank for a number of years and never experienced this before last week. The food that I ate varied both times.

Other then the diarrhea, I feel fine, but it is very inconvenient. Should I be worried about this? I realize this is a bit of a stretch, since I never had unprotected sex or condom malfunctions, but I have heard this can be a sign of HIV. Is that accurate?

Thanks so much for your help.
Chronic diarrhea can be caused by chronic ethanol ingestion [1]. Consumption of alcohol affects the body's capability to absorb water - this is often a symptom that accompanies a hangover after a heavy drinking session. The alcohol itself is absorbed in the intestines and as the intestinal cells absorb it, the toxicity causes these cells to lose their ability to absorb water. This leads to an outpouring of fluid from the intestinal lining, which is in turn poorly absorbed. The diarrhea usually lasts for several hours until the alcohol is detoxified and removed from the digestive system. Symptoms range from person to person and are influenced by both the amount consumed as well as physiological differences. Alcohol-induced diarrhea is often accompanied by "the follow through" where a feeling that the patient is going to break wind (flatulence) instead becomes an uncontrolled episode of diarrhea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarrhea#Alcohol
Thanks. I had read that... but, this never happened before and I have been drinking for over five years. Why would this start now?
If you put the body through to much stress for so long eventually it is going to start to do its job with a little less enthusiasm, so to speak.  My advice is to stop binge drinking or you are going to have to learn to deal with your body breaking down long before its time...you have to understand that alcohol is a poisen.  You are poisening your body, so after awhile, yeah their are going to be some adverse reactions.  I hope this didnt sound condescending at all, if it has that is not my intention.  Infact im only 20 years old so take my advice as you will but I am also a firefighter/paramedic and have a sister who drinks like you do.  Do yourself and your body a favor and drink in moderation if you are going to drink at all.
Not at all, I appreciate the advice. Should I go to the dr. about this? Also, any thoughts on the HIV idea, or is that completely insane?
If it continues while you arent drinking I would definetly see a doctor about it but otherwise you dont have to, unless its making you nervous that is.  Then you might as well just go so he/she can ease your mind.  As for the HIV idea, it is possible but very very unlikely.  I highly doubt it is because you are only getting it after drinking heavily, and even if you were getting it all the time its still very unlikely.  But as always, if you are having unprotected sex with multiple partners, you are at a risk of contracting HIV and other STDs as well as various STIs so you should definetly get tested for that.  And from now on if you arent in a single monogomous sexual relationship, please use protection.  I know sex is good haha but its not worth dying over.
i have been expereincing the exact same kinda symptoms as brainchaney but d only difference is dat i have d symptoms even wen i drink lightly... i only drink once or twice a week and have been doing so since the last 7 years, but never experienced this problem before. i recently shifted cities n may be dat  cud be a reason, but my brand of alcohol has practically been d same..
i tried not drinking for a couple of weeks n my tummy was all good den but den, even a 60ml vodka peg caused the symptoms to recur d next day..
This condition didn't start for me till I was in my 50's but every time. I have more than two drinks I am flyin to to bathroom.
I agree with the last post. However, please note that "grammar" is not spelled with an "e." Never be afraid to consult a dictionary, folks!

So, the lot of you can't write or spell very well. But that's not the issue here. The issue is alcohol and diarrhea, right? I am fully aware that the former will cause the latter in me, but what can be done about this? I don't intend to give up drinking again, even though abstinence was of great help to my digestive problems. Call me an alcoholic; you wouldn't be the first.

What I generally do is take two Immodium Multi-Symptom pills before I do my drinking. Then I may take another one or two in the morning. This strategy is the only one I have, for the most part. It's not a bad one, but it doesn't always work. many time it does. Last night it did not work, and my bowels were a mess. I am hoping for suggestions other than the one that says I should stop drinking. I already figured that one out, thanks.

Hey I just tried drinking as well but it didn't sit right with me; I had the same problem as you but what I did to cool my stomach was drink warm honey it eased the tenderness of my abdominal before hand when I passed a bowel movement it would burn a little which I found that it's the liquor exiting my body once I drink the honey I didn't feel to much burning plus after 2 days it went away. Doctor says I'm completely healthy
I've found it funny that just about every person who has chosen to correct another's grammar has included some kind of grammatical error of his or her own.  In any instance, last Saturday night I drank way more than I usually do.  I took a cab there, so my intentions were to drink more than usual, but in this case I took it way too far.  I have not had the same stomach since... It's been almost a week!!!  Is this due to drinking or maybe a virus?  I have a mild headache and diarrhea, for a week!  Ugh..  
Slang is fine to use, so long as we understand it, it's harmless!
So much talk on grammar.  We are all just trying to know a bit more about the effects of alcohol and diarrhea.  My problem is that I love drinking but I worry that having diarrhea constantly will have terrible consequences for my body.  Most of the times when I drink I have diarrhea.  It usually goes away after a couple of days.  I am 33.  Alcohol did not have this effect on me 10 years ago.  I have always drank quite a lot.  Better start smoking pot or inhaling alcohol.
I was glad to read up on this post...I drink like every other fri & sat and usually the diarrhea hits me hard on sunday and I usually mix back and forth on drinks. But normally only have normal issues before and after cycle
My name Is emma I drink 2 a week and on a friday sometime saturday but I don't drink all time but recent I have my freind buys me voka small but me drink on its own and before I have cans strong and after I've slept all day I have a massive headache and feel ill and sick and everything I have diarrhea all the time after I drink but the bad new is I have diarrhea when I don't drink I've been having diarrhea for a while can u please give me som advice sometimes I am sick too after when eaten and stuff after I've been drinking I still feel sick why is this do u think I drink way to much sometimes my heart rates up too
I hope you can help me, I am 25 and for around a year now after having a night out and drinking a lot on a Saturday night I suffer really badly with stomach pains and diarrhea but this does not happen till the Tuesday night!! Should I go to my doctor?
Hey Everyone,

Instead of posting about grammar and/or the use of slang, let's focus instead on the question of the original poster.

Thanks!

Steph
I have experienced these same digestive issues anywhere from the morning after to a few days later.  I have found, from experience, that when I drink lots of beer, I usually experience it the following morning; however, when I drink several sugary mixed drinks (anything with coke, red bull, or flavored syrups), I experience it much later.  

When drinking lots of alcohol your pancreas can become inflamed for a few days after the night of drinking, especially if you have been drinking for a number of years.  Your pancreas regulates the sugar levels in your body.  When you ingest lots of sugar while your pancreas cannot properly provide your body with insulin and at the same time drink alcohol which stops your liver from releasing glucose into the bloodstream, your blood sugar levels decrease causing hypoglycemia and acute pancreatitis.  Symptoms, including diarrhea and others similar to a typical hangover, take several days to subside.  

I have found that picking a specific drink with no sugary mixture like a glass of Jameson--water it down if you don't like it neat--and sticking with that for an entire night leads to a great time and does not have this effect.

For more information, visit:
http://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-you/your-body-alcohol/body-effects-tool/pancreas
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/hypoglycemia-and-alcohol

For more information, visit:
My girlfriend and I often drink on Saturday nights and we do we both experience some loose stool action having only one bathroom makes things a little interesting but that's besides the point. The last time we drank a little heavy my excretions were actually pretty firm!!!! I was pretty excited about this until I looked into the bowl ..... My stool was WHITE!!! I'm a little nervous about this. Should I be concerned ? Please HELP
I have the same problem. I take several tablespoons of chia seeds in a glass of water before drinking to bulk up things in the intestines. Drink them quickly before they soften and turn into a gel. It seems to work fairly nicely...and they're actually very good for you. They can be bought at any health food store and some safeways. Costco carries them too.
Oh, not the white stool though. That has never happened to me before...just the loose stool action after drinking.
I am a 25 y/o female who just started getting this same problem and it's driving me insane. I had it happen here and there in the past, but it's TERRIBLE now. I am definitely an alcoholic: I drink every day. Lately I've been drinking an average of 2 or 3 40 oz's (5.5% alc) per day, but over this past weekend I got REALLY wasted and drank even more... so much to the point that I passed out and pissed on myself and my bf. (Super embarrassing).

I woke up the next day (Sunday) practically ******** myself. What was worse was that it burned and was terribly uncomfortable. Now it's Tuesday and I'm still running to the bathroom at least every hour if not more. I know I need to calm down if not stop my drinking, but it's just not that simple because I've been dependent on it for years.

I like the suggestion about taking Immodium AD before and after drinking. I'm hoping that and cutting back will help. I have heard that beer can be worse as far as diarrhea due to the yeast. It does seem like it is a bit worse and sticks with me longer now than when I was drinking copious amounts of vodka instead of beer.

I've been drinking lots of Gatorade and water and that's not helping. I found the first response to this question about chronic alcohol abuse affecting the body's ability to absorb water very helpful. I think that might be what's happening with me because drinking more liquid almost seems to make it worse. I'm going to try some Pepto Bismol or Immodium AD tomorrow and cross my fingers that it helps.
I'm a 27 year old woman. I drink everyday is 21 years old. Never had any known complications. Three weeks ago after a night of drinking, I woke up feeling fine seeing that I no longer experience hangovers anymore. About 15 minutes after eating I immediately had to run to the bathroom and it was diarrhea. Felt just fine after but every meal that day was the same result.  In between meals, I was just fine. It's hasn't let up. Only happens the next day for at least 2 meals. It's quite irritating! While this become more aggressive if I continue to drink as I do?