Diarrhea from colon removal.
My husband had 2/3 of his colon removed 3 months ago and has diarrhea when ever he eats. I want to know what he can eat or how he should eat to help slow down what little bit of colon he has left. He doesn't have a bag and didn't have the need for chemo but I can see this is wearing him out with the constant diarrhea.
thanks fr your help.

Almost five years ago I underwent a total colectomy and indeed one of the after effects was ~10 visits per day to the toilet and ~4 at nights.  This number gradually reduced to ~4 per day and ~0-1 per night.  It took perhaps 3 months for the number to start reducing noticably.  Some suggestions:-

- try to eat a relatively high fibre diet and especially oats and bran (my Wife makes me home made muesli = oats and bran soaked in milk to which grated fruit/nuts have been added - the mixture looks like wet cement).  I feel that the oats + bran soak up the liquid bowel mortions and make them more "muddy/sludgy".  A bit like mopping up a spillage on the kitchen floor by throwing sawdust on it.

Also I suggest that it is worth taking specific steps to prevent anal soreness.  After the last toilet paper wipe, make an extra wipe with toilet paper moistened with soapy water.  When you are away from home take some mild baby wipes with you to make that "last wipe".

The frequency of toilet visits should decrease over time.

Good luck
Morecambe
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It helps to talk with someone who has been through something similar.

We will try the suggestions you made, as I am sure they will help.

So nice to hear that the visits should decrease.

Thanks again.