Diet after total colectomy
Dear Dr:
my mother is 43 year aold female. she had total colectomy 4 years ago ( total colectomy and ilioanal anastomosis).
after this operation , she became too slim (now she has 37 kilogram). she has sever diarrhea all of time, and can't eat enough food because of it.she needs to gain weight. whould you please help us? what diet you recommend for her??

I think you have to address two problems:-

1) a diet to help your mother gain weight
2) a diet to try and minimise diarrhoea

Regarding point (1) I think you ought to seek professional advice
regarding point (2) maybe a diet high in fibre will £"bulk up" your mother's motions.  Try eating "absorbative fibre" such as oats + bran mixed with other foods/yaghurt etc.

regards
Morecambe

I found a diet plan from the Cleveland clinic right after my total colostomy.It saved me from the constant diarrhea . The main thing is to drink only Gatorade not water. Water does not absorb easy and just thins the bowel. Gatorade is absorbed better. You can look up the diet. It also gives suggestions on what to eat to help thicken or thin the bowel.