Gastroenterology Community
Diet fo after having a total colectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Diet fo after having a total colectomy

What diet can I follow as I have a lot of flatulence and some foods give me diarrhea? I had my operation in 2000 and I am struggling with my weight.
First off, look at getting some Gas X or Ovol to help with the gas.  Make sure you aren't drinking pop/sodas or drinking from a straw as this all promotes gas.  Make sure you eat slowly and chew well when eating.

Until you get things settled better try to avoid fiber rich, sugary or spicy foods but do gradually add them back in once you are feeling up to it - gradually as they will cause gas as you acclimate.  Reduce or eliminate caffienne.  For now I would eat the following:

- oats
- white rice
- eggs
- lean meats
- smooth applesauce
- well cooked peas, carrots, sweet potatoes - avoid broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, and peppers as they are members of the cabbage family and too high in fiber.

Don't be afraid to supplement your food with something like Ensure drinks and take a good multi vitamin.  Good luck!

- oats
- white rice
- eggs
- lean meats
- smooth applesauce

After a total colectomy it is trial and error and to what foods to eat and which to avoid. My son is 39 and had his colectomy at 12.  Take immodium for the diarrhea, and pay attention to what foods cause the gas and avoid them, unless you can get relief from taking some type of gas relieving medication.  My son has advised many on how to improve their quality of life after a colectomy.  He welcomes anyone looking for help.  If you would like I can give you his website so you can write directly to him.  He is a marathoner, ultrathoner, mountain biker, speed hiker that puts him in the middle of the widerness for weeks at a time, and competes in jujitsu, so you can have a full life.  If you're interested just PM me and I will give you his contact info.  Take care...

I underwent a total colectomy about six years ago at the age of 58 and the most immediate effects were the number of #2 visits to the toilet every day (~10 during the day and ~4 at night).  This gradually reduced over time but I found that a high fibre diet made my motions less liquid and more "muddy/sludgy" and also less corrosive.  Especially I can recommend home made muesli (soak organic oats and bran in milk and add grated fruit, nuts, lemon juice etc.  It looks like wet cement but it tastes OK).  This is a bit like adding sawdust to a liquid spillage on the kitchen floor and mopping up a semi-solid rather than a liquid.

regards
Morecambe
Our daughter had her total colectomy in 2009, and still has to stick with a very limited diet (potatoes, rice, tofu, white breads). Her weight is very low, and the doctor wants her to gain weight, but it's almost impossible. On occasion, she will try eating vegetables and fruit but it always causes cramps and even more frequent trips to the bathroom.
We would love to hear how your son eats, and manages to be so active and healthy!  
Please give us your son's web site, if he still has it.
Try checking under the member's section for 'mammo.' You should be able to find a way to contact her that way.