Differing Opinions
I have been having consistent lack of appetite, belching and digestion problems for six months. I really don't feel that bad, but have lost a lot of weight from not eating enough. I usually start to have problems two hours after I eat, with lots of belching and fluid in my stomach. I do get hungry, but as soon as I start to get hungry it goes away once it reaches a certain point, usually when my stomach starts to growl. This problem began almost instantly when I drank a lot of alcohol on an empty stomach and experienced a LOT of pain which felt like the pain of a bad ulcer. This followed after about a year of daily drinking which was causing starting to cause stomach pain. I took nexium for eleven weeks, took a break of a month, then took aciphex for a month. After this I had an endoscopy. This revealed 'multiple small non-bleeding erosions in the duodenal bulb and a gastric mucosal abnormality in the antrum characterized by erythema." I also had an x-ray, ultrasound, CT scan, h. pylori biopsy and emptying test which were all normal. The doctor who performed the endoscopy said these problems could be causing my appetite and stomach issues, but the main doctor in charge of my care didn't think so. I started taking omeprazole again as soon as I got this diagnosis and am seeing incremental improvements. Are these findings normal or could they be causing my stomach problems? I don't know which doctor to listen to. Can't find much information about duodenal erosions, but my research suggests they come from heavy drinking and can cause appetite problems. What's going on? How do I get better?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the symptoms. Erosions are superficial ulcers and develop and are treated the same way as the ulcers initially. These are often associated with inflammation and could be the possible reason for your symptoms. Management would largely involve dietary and lifestyle changes and reducing stomach acidity with the help of medication. I would suggest consulting your treating gastroenterologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!