Gastroenterology Community
Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics

So Ive done every test there is to identify a problem with my stomach and everything is normal! Which is good and *****. I was only diagnosed with inflammation of my stomach and gastritis of the duodenum.

I want to get rid of this chronic bloating and indigestion and sometimes pain on left side of chest. Has anyone taken probiotics and/or digestive enzymes and it make a difference?

Ive read that just taking these two things might fully get rid of most of my symptoms instead of taking acid blockers once a day.
I personally don't believe probiotics and digestive enzymes will heal your acid secretion. It doesn't make sence.

The most common cause of gastric and duodenal inflammation is H. pylori bacterium, so go and have a breath test for H. pylori. If positive, you'll get antibiotics. Also anti-acid drugs if necessary. Upper abdominal bloating is characteristic for H. pylori, other symptoms may include excessive burping, early satiety, nausea and heartburn.
I've tried them both for my problems which are like yours. They didn't work at all and were a waste of money (for me). Try Swedish Bitters from the health store and take about a spoonful in bubbly soda water and see how you feel. It helps me and I take it before bed and a couple of times in the day. Also try Slippry Elm powder - a teaspoon dissolved in a little water. That's often soothing.
I have just started on Somac (acid blockers) and previously took Zantac Effervescent which didn't really help much. I hope the Somac does. I believe in herbal and natural therapies and have tried just about everything, had every test and all I can conclude is that they don't know and tell us that it's 'inflammation'. I've tried the test for H.pylori by the way and it was negative.
good luck
I've been treated multiple times for h pylori bacteria with Tetracycline or Flagyl and Pepto Bismol tablets.  I also take probiotics and I believe the first time I took the probiotics that it helped digestive problems.  Try taking the Pepto Bismol tablets (four tablets every six hours) and see if it helps.   When I feel like I'm having a flare up, I take the tablets for a couple of days, and it seems to help.  Oddly enough, it's the Pepto that kills the h phlori not the antibiotics.  If you try this, you must use the Pepto tablets not the liquid.  It might be worth a try.