Gastroenterology Community
Digestive symptoms and dark red blood in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm just about at my wits end with the doctors that I've seen about some ongoing digestive issues and was wondering if anyone else has been going through anything similar?
Just over a year ago I felt that something wasn't right with my stomach. I was frequenty experiencing 'stomach upsets' with regular diarrhea and a vague feeling of nausea. Last september (2009) after going to the bathroom I saw that there  was a lot of dark red blood mixed with my stool and decided it was probably time to see a doctor. Blood work came back negative for celiac, and blood count was all in normal range however my gp said that my iron levels were 'on the low side'. I was referred for further evaluation and in June this year had a colonoscopy which came back normal and ruled out IBD and found no source of bleeding. Since the first bleeding episode - a year ago now - I have had repeated episodes of dark red blood, almost clot like, mixed in with the stool, despite no source of bleeding being found. Is it possible that it is coming from my stomach? It usually happens every few weeks although I haven't seen any blood for about 6 weeks now.
I also get bouts of nausea that come and go, as well as abdominal pain just below my ribs, generally to the left. I also have what seems to be some sort of spasm, usually after eating or drinking something which sometimes has a kind of follow through where I regurgitate what I have just eaten or drunk into my mouth (not pleasant I know, apologies for the imagery). I still have frequent diarrhea and typically have 5 to 6 bowel movements a day; I used to go 2-3 times a day before the problems started.  I feel quite let down by my local hospital who have basically told me its psychological. I asked about the bleeding and the reply was that its probably just broken blood vessels. I am currently waiting for an upper gastroscopy - although was told in no uncertain terms that if this is negative then I have a psychological problem! My most recent blood tests run by my gp about a month ago again showed iron levels in normal range but on the low side, slightly high white count, high monocytes and apparently my red blood cells are large, I don't know the size but apparently out of normal range. My gp wondered about h.pylori and I am currently waiting for the results of that blood test. I'm basically a bit fed up with being told its in my head, by doctors who in all honesty are quite rude. Does anyone know what these sorts of symptoms could indicate, or has anyone had any similar experiences?
Many thanks
& I probably should have mentioned I'm a 29 year old female....
I had the exact same symptoms as you at about the same age. Turned out, after two years of telling me "it's all in your head" that I had gallstones. One was stuck in the common bile duct forcing bile into my stomach and pancreas. I had bleeding and diarrhea so bad after I ate from "bile dumping" into my intestines plus I got pancreatitis ...all because didn't believe me. My bloods were normal too, when a doc finally ordered a test to check for stones it had caused a lot of damage. Do not accept the ."all in your head" crap. That's the price for being a female with a lot of doctors. Find a female doc if you can.

First of all, I suggest that you try to see a specialist G.I. doctor at one of the major teaching hospitals.  If they don't believe you, why not take a sample of your bloodstained motions in a plastic container to the meeting and say "I've been told that "this" is in my head but as you can see it's in my poo".  From where is the blood coming?  Maybe you should have another colonoscopy.

regards
Morecambe
If you are too shy to bring your bloody bowel movement with you - you could also take pictures and bring those :)  I brought pics on my laptop and no one thought I was crazy (except me!)