Gastroenterology Community
Digestive

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Digestive

My stools almost always come out like a big blob of soft serve ice cream (lol) Like one big pile, unformed or a collection of narrow stool woven into a blob... what would make this happen?
It sounds like not all the fluid within the fecal material is being reabsorbed in the large intestine. If you're not having other symptoms, or pain and discomfort, you may want to consider upping you intake of fiber. It will absorb some of the fluid and possibly produce a more 'formed' stool.
Thank you for responding. Oddly, I have a fairly high fibre diet which starts every morning with oatmeal (I used to take metamucil daily as I was prone to the opposite problem and had a sensitive shvinkter from the hard stools of the past and was told by a Proctologist to follow that program but things softened up on their own somehow and remain that way to this day without using metamucil anymore.) I also make a conscious effort to eat fruits and veggies, cooked and raw. I have mild to moderate gut tension especially upon awakening in the morning but after having my regular morning, large bowel movement, the gut area feels almost normal. I have always had a sensitive gut area but gone are the days of a 'log' style stools. :)