Gastroenterology Community
Distended stomach after diverticulitis surgery

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello, my husband had part of his colon removed about 8 years ago due to diverticulitis. He had a colostomy bag for about a year after the surgery.  After his second surgery to remove the colostomy, the left side of his stomach is rounder and bigger than the right side. He doesn't have any discomfot and his bowel movements are normal, but as I see the left side of his stonach getting larger, I am getting more and more concerned.  Is this distension normal or is there something to worry about?  He says its just because he's gaining weight, but I'm not so sure.  Thanks!!
sounds like he may have a hernia...would go back to see his surgeon
i had the same problem and i had a ct scan to find out if it was a hernia and it's not.  They say it's probably scar tissue and some fat,  I don't know what else to do but to live with it since it's not a hernia.  Take care and hope all is well, Linda
I have it as well after having 8 inches of my colen removed for diverticulitis. If I had known that this was a known side effect of the surgery, I would have passed and not had it done. Total medical BS!