Gastroenterology Community
Distension, unable to pass gas.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Distension, unable to pass gas.

Hi all,

Just the other day I started feeling very bloated. I tried to pass the gas collecting, but I couldn't. I could feel it in my lower abdomen but couldn't release it. I found that if I laid on my stomach, I could relieve some of the pressure, but nothing too significant. I've tried massaging my stomach, but it doesn't do anything. The only "success" I have is in the morning when I usually use the restroom. It's only then that I can release the gas and I have a few long slender stools. This leads me to believe I have a partial obstruction? I'm not entirely sure. I've tried a small dose of benefiber and it helped some, but the distension and pressure is still there, especially as the day goes on. Now that it's day 2, I'm getting worried about the possibility of some sort of sepsis or blood infection occurring. Same sort of BM happened this morning, but nothing since then and the pressure is already building. My temperature was 96.7ยบ F, which I thought was odd but it's not a fever. I haven't vomited at all however I've been burping rather than the needed flatulence. I'm led to believe that whatever the problem is resides in the large intestine because the pressure is in my lower abdomen. Any suggestions about what this problem could be? Please ask me questions so I can help you help me!

Have you had prior abdomen surgery?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I don't believe that you have a partial obstruction, sepsis, or blood infection.  I think that you are constipated and gassy.  You can try increasing your fiber intake, your intake of fruits and vegetables, you intake of water, and get more exercise.  If this doesn't work then you can try taking a small dose of a mild laxative like Miralax.  You can also try eliminating all lactose from your diet to see if that helps the gas.  You can also try an over the counter medicine like gas-x.  If this continues then you should see your doctor.
Thank you for that. I may try taking a dosage of Dulcolax before bedtime tonight and see how that helps me. Earlier this afternoon, I had a cup of coffee and it did help (usually does the trick for me) but the pressure is back again. This is my only small doubt about it being constipation. Is it possible to have a successful BM while still being constipated? I've been drinking water throughout the day today as well.

And @Touchet, I have not had any prior abdomen surgeries. Is it possible for paralytic ileus/pseudo-obstruction to occur without any prior surgery? I understand it's possible for young children to develop it unpredictably, however I'm 20 years old.
I much more recommend Miralax over Dolcolax.  Yes, it is possible to have a BM while still being constipated.  It is possible for those things to occur without any prior surgery but it is very rare.
unable to pass stool and noticed flesh which came out of anus temporiliy. i tried using laxatives but did not help.