Gastroenterology Community
Diverticulitis and Pregnancy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Diverticulitis and Pregnancy

When I was pregnant I had severe pain on two occasions that they thought was kidney stones.  However, when my baby was five months old I had emergency surgery for a perforated colon from diverticulitis.   I really think the pain when I was preg was from my colon, b/c it was the same severity.  I have been reading and it seems like there could have been a smaller perforation that was blocked off at the time.  Do you think this could have been what was causing my pain then?  Throughout the whole preg. I had trouble with BM, so I was on Colace 300mg.  (I remember a nurse saying that was a high dosage, but no one tried to find out why.)  They did do a scan (probably of my kidneys) with my first bought of pain, but they couldn't find out anything.  (I think I just read that it may be difficult to detect with u/s, that CT is preferred, but since I was preg. I guess they didn't do that.)

Anyway, my reason for writing is:  I have a question and I need your help.  My pregnancy was very complicated so I'm trying to decide if I should try again.  One complication I had was that my water broke at 28 weeks.  I am wondering if anyone thinks it is possible that diverticulitis could have played a part in my water breaking early.  Also, I was able to hold the baby until 31 weeks 4 days until I experienced a second case of severe pain this time with a slight fever, and my elevated white blood cell count.  At that point they wanted me to have the baby, so they took out my cerclage (a stitch on the cervix to help keep it closed).  I just keep thinking I could have held onto her longer if not for this problem.  Do you think it could have been b/c of my colon and diverticultis?  I didn't even know I had it until I had the emerg. surgery.  My grandfather also has it, but it was treated before complications.

I need your help.  If you have any info or insights or ideas it would mean a lot to me.  My surgeon will not really speculate, but told me to ask my other doctors.  At this time I have not consulted with them yet, but I need to know if anyone has first hand knowledge or exp with diverticultis and symptoms to help me make sense of all of this.

Thanks so much.

LM
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers